Our First Egg Brought Some Questions...

Lipkis

In the Brooder
12 Years
Apr 8, 2007
Kennesaw, GA
Yesterday, I was sitting inside in the livingroom when I heard a large, "WHOOP! YEAH!" Surprised, I looked over and opened up the door and I heard my mom cry, "AN EGG! WE HAVE AN EGG!" At that moment I joined her.

We got our three little Cochin Bantams on Easter Day and been watching them grow from cute little yellow and brown puffy peeping things to cute feathered legged ladies.

Now, I have a question and I'm hoping that someone can answer me. The egg we have is a light brown with little white specks. We're trying to figure out who did it.

We have two little white feathered girls with red earlobes. And one little brown girl with white earlobes. Now, I looked in our books about chickens but it says there can be exceptions. Our bantams one of those exceptions? Can someone help us out please!

White ear lobes lay white eggs, so I would figure on one of your white-feathered girls laying the brown egg.

The myth about feather color comes from the coincidence that commercial leghorns are white feathered, while the most common brown egg layer (RIR and hybrids) happens to be red feathered.

-Frank

Yes, that's what the books say but since our girls are cochin bantams I wanted to make sure. Yay! Thank you so much! <3

Back
Top Bottom