1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Our first egg ever pipped!! New pics added!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by erinszoo, Mar 26, 2012.

1. erinszoo

erinszoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    North Central Oklahoma
    Finally, after 25 days in the incubator, we had an egg pip about an hour ago. Have no idea why it's taken so long. We have a homemade incubator that my daughter built for a school project. We didn't think any of the eggs would make it this far. When they hadn't hatched we decided to candle them today and three of them were moving around still that we could see. The other two eggs were so dark we couldn't see anything. Then, as we candled the last one, we could see a beak pop through the internal membrane and it started peeping at us. A couple of hours later it pipped it's shell. How long will it take now before it completely hatches?

Last edited: Mar 27, 2012
  2. smchickfarm

smchickfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2010
    Waynesville,OH
    well, CONGRATS!!!!! [​IMG]

now, it can take 24 hours from pip to hatch, so just sit back and be patient!!! [​IMG] I know it is hard.

Well, 1 think that can make a hatch late is temp. If you temp was a little lower, that could be why.

What has your temp been during incubation???

3. erinszoo

erinszoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    North Central Oklahoma
    Thanks. We've had our temps between 97 and 101 with about 50% humidity until yesterday when we upped the humidity. We did have a few days where we got up in the mornings and the temp had fallen to 95. Here's some pics from today's events.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by