Our first egg hatched...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chucky'sclucky, May 19, 2010.

1. chucky'sclucky

chucky'sclucky New Egg

Feb 23, 2009
    but the chick died. Our hen is still sitting on 3 eggs ( they are at different stages) and another is sitting on 5 eggs. I'm wondering... What should we do with the chicks when they hatch? Do we leave them with the hen to feed and water? or Do we need to remove the chick from the hen and care for them ourselves. What do we feed them? Will they eat the same thing the hens eat? One hen's nest is up high will she get the chicks down ? Will they stay warm enough or do we need to light them back up? It's still frosts at night occasionly here. Is there anything else I should know/do? Heading off to google, thanks in adavance -D-

2. vetgirl00us

vetgirl00us Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Rome, GA
    hope you found some info! There's alot out there for you! Good luck with your chicks.

3. georgialee

georgialee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    chucky'sclucky :

but the chick died. Our hen is still sitting on 3 eggs ( they are at different stages) and another is sitting on 5 eggs. I'm wondering... What should we do with the chicks when they hatch? Mama should take care of everything. Do we leave them with the hen to feed and water? yes.or Do we need to remove the chick from the hen and care for them ourselves. What do we feed them? put some chick starter out - your hen can eat that too. Will they eat the same thing the hens eat? One hen's nest is up high will she get the chicks down ? You may want to mover her nest so she's closer to the ground. Will they stay warm enough or do we need to light them back up? The hen will keep the chicks warm enough. It's still frosts at night occasionly here. Is there anything else I should know/do? Heading off to google, thanks in adavance -D-

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by