Our First Egg Hatched!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by autumnw, Feb 25, 2013.

1. autumnw

autumnw Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2011
    Indy
    I have 12 RIR eggs in the incubator and this is my first hatching. I started hearing peeps saturday night and then there was a pip yesterday afternoon. My boys stayed up late for the action and our first little chick came shooting out of its shell around 10:30pm. We were all very excited and I'm just amazed that all of my temperature and humidity fiddling and turning of eggs actually worked! Now we wait to see if any more will hatch, lol. Today is day 21 from the day I set them but I've read that some people count the day after setting as day one so you could say we're just at day 20 :)

Pictures!!!

[​IMG]

2. barbiegirl

barbiegirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2012
    The Poconos Pa
    Congratulations! Good luck on the rest of the hatch!

3. Annemarie

Annemarie Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2013
    Suid-Afrika
    I am new in this too and of 22 eggs I got 5 chicks today and they are looking pritty good.. Hehe I think.. A few more are pipping stil.. Can't wait too see how many will come out on the end..

4. autumnw

autumnw Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2011
    Indy
    So I only ever got the one chick! It has been three full days since it hatched and the eggs are on day 23.

5. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    get another chick or get a mirror.

6. ChucktheChick

ChucktheChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2012
    The coop
    Hats great! Yay! I would say wait another day then chip some shell off at the big end to see if it is a live. Good luck!!!! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by