OUR FIRST EGG(S)!!! TWO OF OUR BO GIRLS LAY EGGS WITHIN 5 MIN. OF EACH OTHER, ONE IN MY HAND!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by countryladyNH, Aug 21, 2016.

1. countryladyNH

countryladyNH Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2016
    New Hampshire USA
    My Coop
    THURS. AUGUST 18~
    OUR FIRST EGG(S)!!! TWO AT THE SAME TIME!!!
    [​IMG]

Well, almost right after I wrote the post below hubby called me outside to see one of our hens in the nest box!!

www.backyardchickens.com/t/1128653/still-no-first-egg#post_17425774

There was a lot of squawking going on by all 4 hens, but it was Maisie, as expected, in the nest box. He left for work just after noon, and I went back out. This time PRISSY was in the nest box all comfy sitting there. A bit later, and despite the fact that we have 2 boxes, MAISIE was now cramming herself into the box with Prissy. It was about 1:30.
    Maisie got out, but just stayed in the coop. I had to go in the house, but came out at 2.
    THERE IN THE NEST BOX WAS PRISSY ONLY, AND ONE PERFECT, SMALL BROWN EGG, STILL WARM! [​IMG]

I thought it was her egg. Maisie was not in the coop at this point. I stroked Prissy, and she stood up and dropped an egg RIGHT INTO MY HAND!
    I COULD NOT BELIEVE IT! TO SAY I WAS IN SHOCK WAS AN UNDERSTATEMENT!

Maisie had laid her egg in the box with Prissy, and then gone into the run. I just managed to go out to the coop just after she laid her egg and went out, and so I thought it was Prissy's and went to pick her up and pet her. I am still just gob-smacked that my beautiful Prissy laid her egg right in my hand at that moment!

SO, THIS IS OUR 'BIG DAY'!!
    THURS., AUGUST 18, 2016, A BEAUTIFUL DAY ON 'OUR OLD HOMESTEAD' IN NEW HAMPSHIRE---TWO 'FIRST EGGS' AT THE SAME TIME!!!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Maisie

[​IMG]

Maisie

[​IMG]

Our other girls coming to investigate...

[​IMG]

Prissy got in a nest box...
    [​IMG]

Maisie came back in....
    [​IMG]
    ...No, this is not one chicken. Maisie squeezed herself into the same nesting box with Prissy! That is Prissy's face and Maisie's fluffy butt.

[​IMG]
    WHEN I CAME OUT AT 2:00, AFTER HEARING A LOT OF CARRYING ON, I FOUND MAISIE WAS NOT IN THE COOP, THERE WAS ONE WARM, PERFECT EGG IN THE NEST BOX WITH PRISSY, AND I WENT TO PICK HER UP, AND SHE DROPPED THE SECOND EGG IN MY HAND!

WE ARE JUMPING FOR JOY HERE AT THE OLD HOMESTEAD!!![​IMG]
    I SURE WILL REMEMBER THIS ALL MY LIFE!

[​IMG]

2. SueT

SueT Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    [​IMG]wonderful day!!!!!

3. countryladyNH

countryladyNH Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2016
    New Hampshire USA
    My Coop

YEA!
    *****UPDATE: JUST HEARD LOUD EGG SONG AT 10 AM~ WE WENT OUT TO THE COOP (SUN. AM, 8/21) AND PRISSY AND MAISIE LEFT ANOTHER EGG EACH----PRISSY IN A NEST BOX, AND MAISIE'S ON THE FLOOR---GUESS SHE DIDN'T MAKE IT TO THE NEST IN TIME! EVERYONE IS NOW OUT FREE RANGING, AND BEING HAND FED SOME GRAPES!

Last edited: Aug 21, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by