1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

OUR FIRST EGG!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lescostes, Dec 8, 2008.

1. lescostes

lescostes Out Of The Brooder

Dec 7, 2008
    We have had our kids for exactly 1 week and this morning I went out to the coop and there in one of the nesting boxes was an egg. I was so excited! I'm not sure what hen layed, so picked up both of them and hugged them. Is that what I'm to do, hug them? Here is a picture, fresh and dirty from the box. We are eating in this morning!
    [​IMG]

2. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Congrat's on your first egg!!! [​IMG]

Dawn

3. lescostes

lescostes Out Of The Brooder

Dec 7, 2008
    [​IMG]
    so...we couldn't eat our first egg because it was fertilized...we noticed a bulls-eye in the yolk. BUMMER.... wondering how many eggs are fertilized and how many not...or does it just vary?

4. sunnydee

sunnydee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:huh?? Why couldn't you eat a fertilized egg? [​IMG]

5. Splash_Guard

Splash_Guard Set Free

Dec 3, 2008
    Michigan
    Blood spots are harmless, fertilized eggs taste the same as unfertilized. Eat them.

6. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    We eat our fertilized eggs. I have a few roos and 20+ hens, so all our eggs are fertilized all the time. A baby chick won't develop unless it's incubated, so it's fine to eat them.

7. LuvinMyPeeps

LuvinMyPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2008
    Powhatan, VA 23139
    Whoo hooo for you!!!! Sure okay to hug them, I do it every day when she lays for me (I'm not sure if that's an incentive for her though LOL)...she gives me a 'gotta...get...away' look. [​IMG]

Whooot!!! Congratulations on your first egg!!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. FLOWERPOT

FLOWERPOT Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    There really is no difference in the taste or texture in fertile eggs.
    Once it is cooked, you would never know!!
    Some of mine are and some are not, I dont even look anymore!
    EAT those eggs, They are so much better than store-bought!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by