1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Our First Egg!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sillybirds, Dec 28, 2008.

1. sillybirds

sillybirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2008
    California
    Well we got a nice suprise this morning. I checked around 10 this morning, and our most mature looking black Australorp, Blackbird, was sitting in the nest box. She got out, and low and behold, a beautiful little brown egg was sitting there, our (and her) first egg! She's 21 weeks, 2 days old today. She looks significantly more mature (bigger redder comb and wattles) than our other BA hatched the same day. She's the first of our 8 pullets to give us a late Christmas present! We're excited.

P.S. It tasted yummy too!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Nikki28

Nikki28 David Bowie is my co-pilot

Dec 15, 2008
    Yay!!!! Congrats!!! I can't wait to get my first egg!!!!!!

[​IMG]

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    That is always a good feeling.

Congratulations...

4. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    Good work on Blackbird's part . . .

And, very good photography on your part . . .

Steve [​IMG]

5. namreknat

namreknat Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2008
    N.W. Oklahoma
    Congratulations on the first egg!! May that be the first of many!![​IMG]

6. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    Congrats on your first egg [​IMG]

7. ChandlersChickens

ChandlersChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2008
    Delphos, OH
    Congrats!! I don't think the excitement ever stops. I love going out to look for eggs [​IMG]

That egg looks delicious!

8. sillybirds

sillybirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2008
    California
    Thanks!

I got another egg from her yesterday. I think I'm going to like these daily gifts -- everyday's Christmas! [​IMG]

9. 6chicks

6chicks New Egg

Sep 13, 2008
    Fort Collins, Colorado
    Questions, Questions!!! I have 6 hens (3 barred rocks and 3 cochins) who will be 20 weeks old in early January (which is practically here!) and I think they're supposed to start laying eggs soon(???) - I'm in Northern Colorado and I've been told I need to add supplement light hours for them to start laying eggs... but then I've read entries on this site that makes me wonder if I really need to.. I use an infrared heat lamp over their waterer and have been keeping it on all night so their water doesn't freeze (it's been getting COLD).... I've been told they don't perceive the red light as sunlight, right? So, I'm a little confused on the whole light issue. Also, up until now, I've kept their nesting boxes blocked off because I didn't want them using them until they're ready... should I just go ahead and take the door off the nesters? When will I know they're ready to start laying or will I? ...and what else???? I'm so excited but definitely still a newbie!!! You guys helped me out so much when I got them as chicks and had no idea what I was doing.... and all my girls are all huge, healthy, and thriving!

10. PeepMePosted

PeepMePosted Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2008
    Altadena, CA
    Our waddle-butt Barred Rock didn't start laying until she was 6 months old...that was three days ago! But she's given us an egg every day since. They're a bit small but I think she's just warming up. We noticed that her comb got very red and she displayed a squatting behaviour days before the first egg. So hang in there! They work at their own pace.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by