Our First Egg!!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by CRH1223, Nov 5, 2010.

1. CRH1223

CRH1223 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2009
    PA
    I went out this morning to feed my pekin ducks and change there water and there it was in the corner a beautiful white egg! This is my first egg ever so I have no idea what the next step is. My girl pekin doesn't really bother with it. When I went to let them out they both came running out and when I put them back in all she did was stare at it. What should I do? It is about to be winter and it is in the 50's now. I was going to clean there cage tomorrow. Am I allowed to touch the egg? It is kind of dirty so what should I do? Sorry for all the questions but this is very exciting and I have no idea what to do!!!

Last edited: Nov 5, 2010
  2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Congratulations on your first egg. [​IMG]. Do you have a drake in with her?

3. CRH1223

Jun 4, 2009
    PA
    Quote:Thanks!!!

Yes they both live in the outback pen.

4. Kevin565

Dec 22, 2009
    I wouldn't let her hatch out her first eggs because they tend to be smaller and aren't ideal for hatching. But their are plenty of other uses for eggs.

5. CRH1223

Jun 4, 2009
    PA
    Ok I know there are definitely plenty more eggs to come. When should I let one hatch?

6. Kevin565

Dec 22, 2009
    Some people are letting their ducks sit now but with the weather i don't think its ideal for raising babies. I would wait until she picks back up in spring before i let her sit. It's best to wait a week or two after she starts laying again , before you let her start collecting the eggs for her nest.

7. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

The first 2 weeks of new laying moms are usually not good anyway. Most of the time they will not hatch at all or they are infertile. Secondly she may not even sit on them until she has produced a bulk load of them. We are talking 10-30 eggs! Or she has a bulk load and doesn't care for it until spring. Third you have to calculate ahead. One month incubation, then at least a month in the brooder and another 2 until they are feathered in. Which means they are not ready to go outdoors until April! Can you provide a warm place for them with about 70 degrees day and night after they are out of the brooder? They cannot handle freezing temp until they are 4 month old. The mother will not warm them that long either. She may keep them warm for the first 30 days, but then they are on their own.

I tell you it is best to take the eggs away and use them for breakfast or cooking/baking. Wait until spring when the weather is better or you end up with duckling in your house and a big mess. Just ask those who currently have duckings in the house. It is overwhelming. In spring the weather is nice and you can enjoy them outdoors without the mess in the house. It's in the best interest for the ducks and for you.

8. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Pekin ducks arent known for their broodiness either- so she may never be inclined top sit on eggs what ever the season. Being as they are meat birds- they have had the broodiness bred out of them. However there is a lot of utility strains that have been cross bred to improve blood lines and vigor of the birds and sometimes these show more mothering instincts. You may get lucky and have one that will sit- but I agree that it would be better to make her wait for warmer weather.

9. CRH1223

Jun 4, 2009
    PA
    Thanks for the advice. I will probably just use this egg for cooking. So if I want some babies I should start saving the eggs around March. Do Pekin's usually lay 1 everyday?

10. MysticalMom

MysticalMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    All 5 of my pekin girls give me an egg a day. Suddenly I want a fried duck egg sandwich. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by