1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Our First Egg!!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by semcat66, Aug 16, 2014.

1. semcat66

semcat66 Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2014
    Florence, Montana
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Just out laying in the dead stubble of the back of our lot...she apparently was pacing at the end of the run that faces this area and when DH let them out to range, she ran directly over there - out of sight because it's behind our wood pile. Not sure exactly how old she is...we got her and her "sister" from the feed store about 1 week after Easter and I'd say they weren't more than a week old. Her sister was acting a little odd later this morning...not sure but I think she was performing the egg song I keep reading about. Have searched high and low but found no other eggs. DH is busy putting the nesting boxes together now :)

[​IMG]

It seems a bit small but other than that, no issues that I see. Guess it's time to switch them over to laying feed and get some oyster shell for them :)

I'll have to find a picture of her and her sister so I can ask for help in identifying their breed - I'm sure the gal at the feed store told us, but I've forgotten.

So excited, I just had to share [​IMG]

Susan

Last edited: Aug 16, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  2. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

[​IMG] It is so egg-citing! Pullets eggs are small to start off, after they have been laying a while, they'll get larger. They're just as good though! Enjoy!!

3. semcat66

May 14, 2014
    Florence, Montana
    So we found a second egg last evening - 98% sure it was the same hen. Is it normal for young hens to lay more than one egg per day when they first start laying? Found egg #3 this morning - outside the coop, even though we put fake egg in one of the nesting boxes. We put that egg in with the fake egg, we're hoping that will encourage her to lay in the box. Should we keep all of the hens inside the run with open access to the coop for a day or two? I want to try to encourage them all to lay in the boxes so we don't have to hunt for eggs over our acre of ground.

4. semcat66

May 14, 2014
    Florence, Montana
    Thought I would add a picture of the of one of the chickens who is laying - she and the other laying hen are the same breed, but we are not sure what breed that is...lol. She is the hen on the left.
    [​IMG]

We had our first breakfast of freshly laid eggs yesterday - delicious!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by