OUR FIRST EGGS 11-15-2008!!!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by HotChix, Nov 15, 2008.

1. HotChix

HotChix Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2008
    Cameron, NC
    [​IMG] YAY! Today my chickens laid their first eggs. I believe it was Red's eggs. She is the only one that is broody and fanning (squatting and puffing her wings while lifting her tail) The others are still running around doing thier own thing. But I have to say this morning was rather irritating. I got up with the kids, and started cleaning. Leon was passed out in bed and the kids started in on IM HUNGRY!!! Well... I went back to let the dogs out and they stole a big bag of cotton candy. Got it back VERY quickly and then proceeded to cook breakfast. Eggs, toast, fries and bacon. The bacon stuck to the pan, the grease kept popping me in the face and arms and the fries were taking way too long. But in the end a good breakfast none the less. Finally Leon got up smelling the food and ate with me. I went outside for my morning cigarette and I heard Red... squawking (not a chicken noise unless they are in danger) and saw commotion down by the Chik-N-Shak. I threw my shoes on and ran down there. She was defending an egg... one had rolled out of the hen house. I was just on my way to walk back up the hill and spotted it. I was immediately filled with elation! All my hard work since April had produced me an egg. I started to look around the coop to see if there were any more. I lifted the hen house lid and lo and behold 3 more eggs lay in the straw. So this morning I have completely replaced what I used for breakfast! Leon did the math... I currently have 31 eggs, by next Saturday I will have doubled my stock to 62... um... anyone want some eggs?

[​IMG] UPDATE: 5th egg collected at 3:30pm!!!!
    [​IMG]

2. wendy

wendy On the Hill

Jun 14, 2007
    central louisiana
    [​IMG] Congrats on the first eggs!!!

I would not give away eggs yet unless you are going to sale them ( to help with chicken feed). Because winter is here and they may not lay everyday [​IMG]

edited: for spelling

Wendy

Last edited: Nov 15, 2008
  3. hensdeliverthegoods

hensdeliverthegoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Catawba County, NC
    Congratulations neighbor, on your first eggs. Isn't it amazing what a thrill it is? Don't worry, you'll soon find many people who will be delighted to have fresh eggs. And you'll also find yourself coming up with many, many ways to prepare them! Oh, I like the set-up you have for your birds, looks really nice.
    Enjoy your haul! [​IMG]

4. chick4chicks

chick4chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    N.E. Pa.
    Congrats on your first eggs. It is still exciting to me to find eggs everyday.[​IMG]

5. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    Congrats.

Omran

6. WA23

WA23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2008
    Northwest WA State
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Congrats. We had our first one this week also. I know what it feels like.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2008
  7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Congratulations!!! It's so eggciting. [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. sara

sara Title Needed Here

Your first eggs are always so eggciting! I still get excited over eggs after having chickens nearly my whole life. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by