OUR FIRST EGGS 11-15-2008!!!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by HotChix, Nov 15, 2008.

1. HotChix

HotChix Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2008
    Cameron, NC
    [​IMG] YAY! Today my chickens laid their first eggs. I believe it was Red's eggs. She is the only one that is broody and fanning (squatting and puffing her wings while lifting her tail) The others are still running around doing thier own thing. But I have to say this morning was rather irritating. I got up with the kids, and started cleaning. Leon was passed out in bed and the kids started in on IM HUNGRY!!! Well... I went back to let the dogs out and they stole a big bag of cotton candy. Got it back VERY quickly and then proceeded to cook breakfast. Eggs, toast, fries and bacon. The bacon stuck to the pan, the grease kept popping me in the face and arms and the fries were taking way too long. But in the end a good breakfast none the less. Finally Leon got up smelling the food and ate with me. I went outside for my morning cigarette and I heard Red... squawking (not a chicken noise unless they are in danger) and saw commotion down by the Chik-N-Shak. I threw my shoes on and ran down there. She was defending an egg... one had rolled out of the hen house. I was just on my way to walk back up the hill and spotted it. I was immediately filled with elation! All my hard work since April had produced me an egg. I started to look around the coop to see if there were any more. I lifted the hen house lid and lo and behold 3 more eggs lay in the straw. So this morning I have completely replaced what I used for breakfast! Leon did the math... I currently have 31 eggs, by next Saturday I will have doubled my stock to 62... um... anyone want some eggs?

[​IMG] UPDATE: 5th egg collected at 3:30pm!!!!
    [​IMG] Freshly washed and ready for the fridge!

2. sunnydee

sunnydee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    Maine
    Congrats on your first eggs! Guess you better start looking for them more carefully! [​IMG]

3. SGM

SGM Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Easley, SC
    Congratulations!!!! Yay girls! [​IMG]

4. Wine-dotte

Wine-dotte Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2008
    Marlborough, New Zealand
    Aww, how exciting! Well done chookys! [​IMG]

5. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    Congrats on your first egg [​IMG]

6. Jena

Jena The Welsh Witch

Nov 2, 2008
    Cardiff
    Excellent, still waiting for my first, finger crossed.
    Jena

7. chickenbike

chickenbike Chillin' With My Peeps

Congratulations!!! Very exciting isn't it? After it seems like forever, you find that perfect first egg! [​IMG]

8. mlmadura

mlmadura Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    ms
    woohooooooo! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by