Our First Eggs!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by diverdale, Dec 3, 2019.

1. diverdale

diverdale Chirping

Oct 14, 2019
    Garner, NC
    My Coop
    We got our first eggs today! We got our 3 girls in May and were kind of expecting not to get any until Spring. Well, we don't know which one(s) laid them but we had one waiting in the nest box this morning (that we think may have been produced yesterday) and another one when we got home from work. They're pretty small but I wouldn't call them "fairy eggs". We live in NC and it's starting to get chilly. Should we expect more eggs this Winter or is this just a maturing thing and we should, again, set our expectations for Spring? Beth was crazy excited this morning though.

2. Scissors65

Scissors65 Chirping

May 8, 2019
    Palmetto, Florida
    Congratulations! Those first eggs are so exciting! I blew out the first egg and it is sitting in my curio. I didn't want to waste the inside of the egg, so I scrambled it and gave it back to the chickens!

3. HeyHeyWW

HeyHeyWW Songster

Oct 9, 2017
    Florida
    Congratulations on your first eggs! :D It's always so exciting when you see that first egg laying there in the nest. First eggs are always smaller than usual. They get bigger as the hens mature. Egg laying will usually slow down in the winter because it's really cold, and the same thing happens in the summer because of the heat. There might not be many eggs, but who knows? It could happen that they start to lay eggs normally, every day. But if it doesn't happen, then yeah, you should wait until spring. :)

4. Sunshine_Chick

Sunshine_Chick Songster

Feb 11, 2019
    Northeast Florida
    That is a beautiful idea!

5. TwoShepherds

TwoShepherds Crowing

Apr 4, 2019
    Southeast TN
    congratulations on your first eggs! I was hoping for a picture! :)

6. Sunshine_Chick

Sunshine_Chick Songster

Feb 11, 2019
    Northeast Florida
    20191203_112030_HDR.jpg I got 2 Easter Egger chicks on June 7th & one laid her first egg today. It is so eggciting! Congratulations!

7. Archie01

Archie01 Chirping

May 16, 2015
    Still waiting! My 2 Silver Laced Wyandottes are about 26+ weeks old. But I wonder how they will lay eggs apart? They are always together.

NHMountainMan and fldiver97 like this.
  8. mamajos

mamajos Songster

Jun 2, 2016
    St. Paul, MN
    Did you know they sometimes cram into the same nest box at the same time to lay an egg?

NHMountainMan likes this.
  9. fldiver97

fldiver97 Enabler

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    My Coop
    Congrats! Eggs will get bigger after a while :) All of my chickens laid fairly well the first winter. I do not ‘extend’ daylight hours but they did lay some eggs all winter long.

NHMountainMan and Sunshine_Chick like this.
  10. diverdale

diverdale Chirping

Oct 14, 2019
    Garner, NC
    My Coop
    Well I didn't think about posting a picture but here it is. My wife was so excited there's nothing for scale but it's a little smaller than a "large" egg from the supermarket.
    firstEgg.jpeg

We ended up with 6 this week and had a few for breakfast this morning ... aren't they beautiful???? It's amazing how vibrant the colors are and WOW they were delicious!

eggsCooking.jpeg

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: