1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Our First Eggs

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by jbelford, Sep 11, 2012.

1. jbelford

jbelford New Egg

May 13, 2012
    Tacoma, Washington
    On Sunday 9-9-12, we noticed that our Dominique hen Sadie, was in one of the two nesting boxes and a few minutes later after some unusual clucking, she left the box and her first egg behind. When my wife got home from work yesterday she went looking for egg #2 and spotted in in the other nest box and almost missed it! So when I got home, we went to the hardware store and picked up some hinges and a latch for the nest box lid to make it easier to access. These are exciting times around our house.

Now I need to research changing feed types and oyster shell supplements. Any suggestions?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Congrats! Love the pic of you holding the egg - you can most definitely tell you are one happy camper!

Layer feed is easiest; I use pelleted, as they waste so much less of that than the crumbles. "wean" them onto it if you choose to go with pellets - mix it about 1/2 and 1/2 for the first few days, then 1/4 and 3/4, etc. Also, best to offer oyster shell in a separate bowl, not mixed in with the feed; this way, they can take what their bodies need.

Congrats on the eggs - enjoy!

3. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Great advice above! I love your pics! You certainly are one happy camper. With many more eggs to come! Enjoy!!

5. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    Congrats on your first eggs! :woot

6. RMo2

RMo2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2012
    Ohio
    Congrats!!!! It's so exciting, isn't it!?!:D

7. jbelford

jbelford New Egg

May 13, 2012
    Tacoma, Washington
    Thanks, I picked up a bag of layer pellets and some oyster shell today. I appreciate the tips!

8. ving

ving Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2012
    isnt the first egg so special!!!! I got my first 2 days ago... i've had another 2 since :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by