Our First Ever Poultry Show! HELP!!

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the Standard o' started by wornoutmomto3, Mar 9, 2017.

1. wornoutmomto3

wornoutmomto3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2014
    Florida
    My Coop
    My kids will finally be entering their chickens into the local fair show for the first time. I came to chickens later in life. So, this is new to all of us. We already know about washing and drying and handling and care, etc.. And we are reading over all the rules and regulations associated with showing. However, something came up that is a bit confusing...

"Chicken Banding"

I have used colorful zip ties to mark specific birds that I wanted to track for either cull, sale, or breed. But the show will be a bit different. Do they chicken(s) get banded at the gate during check in? Or, do they have to be already banded before they arrive? If before, what type of band(s) do I need to get? Metal with numbers? Plastic with numbers? Generic plastic without numbers? I won't be able to go by the fair office until late Friday or possibly Monday. We just found out that drop off is Thursday 3/16/17. So, if I need to order special bands, then I really need to know soon, so they will be here in time.

Please HELP!

2. BBCHICKS123

BBCHICKS123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2016
    Wander land
    How exciting. At are fair they swab there mouths about a week before the fair and put a band on them to prove they have been tested. I would think that the "chicken people" "fair runners" would provide bands if they are needed. You could also call the fair office

3. curious chickee

curious chickee Chillin' With My Peeps

It depends where you live. In CA, we buy our own bands with numbers for each bird identification.

4. wornoutmomto3

wornoutmomto3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2014
    Florida
    My Coop
    The band turned out to be the cage number and ID. All birds not coming from certified clean flocks (NPIP and AI) had to be tested before they could enter the show, and my flock was tested and certified in December of 2016, right before Christmas.

The kids are very happy with the results. The little bantam d'Uccle even got Champion.

[​IMG]

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Congrats!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by