Our first flock raised from chicks

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by mec924, Apr 30, 2017.

1. mec924

mec924 Just Hatched

Apr 30, 2017
    Michigan
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hello all, my daughter went to an environmental school for grade 5&6 and in 6th, they had a chicken business where each kid had 2 chickens and sold the eggs, total of 110 hens. At the end of that school year they had the option to buy their two xens and more if there were any. We ended up with 6 total. We had those for 1.5 years, into Grade 8 and had to terminate one due to aggressiveness towards to others, the point of drawing blood and last Fall, another died from respiratory illness. I had just lost my job, so I made a deal with my daughter, sell off the remaining 4 and we'll start our own flock in the Spring. I really had no interest in winter chickening, with the heat lamps and heated water base as well as snow/ice, etc when they weren't laying much anyway. Well, come February this year, we were at Family Farm and Home and they were already selling chicks but didn't have all the breeds we were looking for. The next day went to see what another location had but the weather was horribly cold for taking any home. They had everything we were looking for so we decided to wait until the next bearable day to bring them home. We ended up with 3 Americauna/Aricauna 3 Astrolorps, 3 Rhode Island reds, 1 Silver lace, 1 Golden lace Wyandottes, and 2 Barred rocks. One of the Rhode Islands really took a shining to my daughter right off the bat, she named it Cheesepuff. To this day, 10 weeks later, if she pats her knees and calls to Cheespuff, that chicken will run over to her, my daughter will put her arm out and usually it will jump up on it. It's adorable. Lets see if I can remember all the names, Mixed breed Ameri/Aura's are Skye, Khaleesi and Frisk, Rhode Islands are, Cheesepuff, Dream and the smaller is Lil Red, Silver wing is Error(looks like a bald eagle to me, so I suggested Patriot), Gold wing is Ink, The Astrolorps all look alike, so no individual names at this time but the tentative names are Nightmare, Robin & Petey, The Barreds are Onyx and Road Runner. We'll have to band the Astrolorps to identify who's who. lol

They've all been getting along fantastically, but one of them keeps grabbing the necks of the others on occasion. A few weeks ago, we noticed that one and one other were missing feathers from their back, but all grew back since then but the one in question is still doing some pecking. My daughter was thinking maybe it was a rooster? It's one of the Americauna/Aracaunas. I'll try to upload a pic of that one. Top pic, the one that's centered. We also heard an attempted crowing from the coop early morning last week, I ran out to the coop, flung the door open and it was that one with it's neck stretched out doing it's half attempt at crowing. We've only heard it one other time. Is there a way to tell if this one is a Rooster? We really don't want to get rid of any of them, but my neighbors are ok with the hens, but all asked if we were getting roosters when we had the first batch. We're out in the country a bit, but it is still a neighborhood, so no roosters. Not to mention, since the coop is right outside my bedroom window, I'm not ok with early morning crowing either. lol

Since we more than doubled out flock, I had to make the run larger and finally finished that up last week. I still have to put some sort of roof on before next winter so they can enjoy the outdoors during that season, but plenty of time for that. It took them a while to gather around us once they were introduced the outdoors, but sitting on a 5 gallon bucket in the run with some meal worms a few times changed that quickly.They love the outside and every time either of us go out onto the deck, they all run over to that fence. Cheesepuff will follow my daughter around like a puppy. We also found that if we have trouble getting them into the coop in the evening, we just let our little Basenji mix dog, Lily out to wrangle them from outside the run. She'll run back and forth until they're all herded into the coop. It's a been a real hoot and a daddy/daughter bonding activity.

We've been reading a lot of info on here over the years and finally decided to join up. Any thoughts on our possible Rooster? We also found a Brahma mix online that looks A LOT like Skye, the potential Rooster.

2. mec924

mec924 Just Hatched

Apr 30, 2017
    Michigan
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Here they are finally using the roost bar in the coop.

Here's a video my daughter made last week of our awesome flock.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
  3. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    Defiantly sounds like a rooster.

Sounds like their close to 3 or 4 months so you should be able to see some saddle feathering.Sounds like he is trying to dominate them.Thid can definitely be a hard stage for evrybody but just letting them work it out usually does best.

If you.could a picture of him showing his whole body that would work.

4. mec924

mec924 Just Hatched

Apr 30, 2017
    Michigan
    In the video go to 4:35 and dead center is the one in question, whitish body, black and white neck/head. Also, here's the only decent shot of it, it's been raining hard today, so no going out right now. [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
  5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

6. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under mec924 [​IMG] Welcome!

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

You might want to also pop in and say hello on your local thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you ‘Find your State’s thread.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by