Our first flock

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by 1MoreBoyScout, Feb 6, 2014.

1. 1MoreBoyScout

1MoreBoyScout New Egg

Feb 6, 2014
    MISSOURI, USA
    Hello. WE have a walk-in coop built, fenced in just waiting for chickens. We were thinking of starting with Australorp. Any comments? Good choice, bad choice, expensive? Haven't really priced chickens as of yet. We wanted to start with 6 hens & 1 rooster. All input from ya'll will be greatly appreciated. Thank's & God bless.

2. cstronks

cstronks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2013
    New Jersey
    What are the dimensions of your coop? Depending on that, you might be able to get more birds, which in my opinion is what you want to do. Also, when you say start with 7 chickens, does that mean you would add more in the future? The only reason I ask is because adding chickens to a flock can be an extremely difficult process, and if you have the space for more birds, then you should go ahead and go for it! Taking care of chickens is all the same...you still have to go out there to feed, water and clean, so it doesn't make much difference in care when it comes to numbers. Chickens are not needy animals, and their difficulty doesn't increase in numbers.

As for the breed, australorp is a very popular beginner bird. They are reliable layers of large brown eggs, and since they are a heritage breed they should be able to lay eggs for a longer period, unlike some of the hybrid breeds which only having a laying life of 2-3 years. If you can buy local, then do that, as it will cut shipping costs and decrease your chance of losses to practically 0. If you are located in a hot area or cold area, make sure you get birds that are tolerable of that climate. Australorps are pretty hardy birds on both ends. So you should be safe. Other suggestions from me would be Rhode Island Reds, Buff Orpingtons, or Easter Eggers. Best of luck!!

2 people like this.
  3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hi there [​IMG] and welcome to BYC!

Australorps are great birds to keep! All I keep are the Black Australorps. They are a gentle breed, docile and do well around kids. They can be very affectionate and follow you around like drooling puppies. GREAT egg layers!

But you might check our Breeds section here on BYC for some info on what people are saying about the different breeds.

Good luck in all your poultry adventures!

4. 1MoreBoyScout

1MoreBoyScout New Egg

Feb 6, 2014
    MISSOURI, USA
    The coop is 8 ft x 8 ft, with about a 6 1/2 ft ceiling. East facing window, west facing door. fenced area is aprox. 8 foot x 12 ft.
    I do not want hybrid chickens. The word hybrid in association with food products, animals gives me the willies anymore.
    We live in LaMonte, MO. kinda west central

5. cluckcluckgirl

cluckcluckgirl Queen of the Coop Premium Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Tending to my chickens
    [​IMG] The Australorp is a great egg layer and is usually very calm. I recommend them.

I think it sounds like you're ready for chickens. The coop and run are plenty enough to keep 7 chickens happy because the recommended square feet per chicken is 4 sq ft. Also, 1 rooster can handle up to 10-15 hens, so starting off with 6 hens and 1 rooster sounds great!

You might try posting on your state's thread in the "Where am I? Where are You!" forum to see if any locals have what you're looking for. Good luck!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/73271/calling-any-one-from-missouri

6. 1MoreBoyScout

1MoreBoyScout New Egg

Feb 6, 2014
    MISSOURI, USA
    Thank you cluckcluckgirl ! And Thank you for the link. Very nice of you. BYC seems like a pretty darn nice site. Thanks again.
    Keep your eyes peeled, I'm sure I'll have PLENTY more questions!! Take care & God bless.

7. cluckcluckgirl

cluckcluckgirl Queen of the Coop Premium Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Tending to my chickens
    You're welcome! BYC is the right place to go to for everything chicken! Feel free to post all the chicken questions you want![​IMG]

8. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you. Good luck with establishing your flock!

9. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

10. Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by