Our First Frost

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Blisschick, Dec 4, 2007.

1. Blisschick

Blisschick not rusty

Feb 20, 2007
    Shepherd, Texas
    Once again, weather men are good at predicting weather, but not good at telling you when you will get the unexpected. I guess that's why they call it a "forecast". I get up knowing it's cold, but not expecting the world to be white and having to chip a layer of ice off my car this morning. I had plants that needed to be in the greenhouse! I'm sure they're not dead, but they're gonna look really sad now. [​IMG]

I need to live on the Equator.

2. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    We had our killing frost back in September!

3. Blisschick

Blisschick not rusty

Feb 20, 2007
    Shepherd, Texas
    It usually happens sometime in November for us, but it's been unseasonably warm this fall. It was muggy and rainy here Sunday.

To give an example of just how squirrely the weather can be here: two years ago, it snowed on Galveston Island on Christmas day, 120 mi. south of me, but we never saw the first snow flurry, even though it was cold here. 5 days later we were outside in shorts for New Years. [​IMG]

4. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Quote:Winter wouldn't be so bad with your weather! We won't see short weather for months yet!

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Hey BC, the weather is wacky this year huh? We got a light frost about a week ago, then warm, then a killing frost two nights ago. Sorry I forgot to warn you it was headed your way. Don't know about last night, haven't bothered to even open the curtains yet; but the SO was out in it until 4 o'clock this morning, so I'm sure I'll hear all about it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by