1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Our FIRST garden... I can't believe it! Pics Pics !!!

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by allaboutdemchicks, Nov 22, 2008.

1. allaboutdemchicks

allaboutdemchicks Chapel Farms

Sep 13, 2008
    Jemison, AL
    Well, let me explain. My husband and I grew up working peach fields, pea patches, okra rows with NO ends, etc. etc. and this is what was expected... By the time I was an adult I was glad to work a desk in an air conditioned office...but guess what I missed when our parent/grandparent were no longer farming? So when my husband wanted a new John Deere tractor I said fine...but we must have a garden with everything I wanted to plant. It was agreed. Crooked neck squash, Silver King corn (yes, King), Trucker's Favorite yellow corn, pink-eyed purplehull peas, bush butterbeans, tomatoes, cucumber, pumpkin, watermelon, canalope, okra, bell peppers, eggplant, and sunflowers and milo for the chickens. I would dare say 90% of our garden was organic. Spring fever hits hard in Alabama.

[​IMG]

How about those clean rows?
    [​IMG]

This was the best ...our grandmothers had never seen a field of sunflowers. They were amazed...they shouldn't have been they taught us well.
    [​IMG]

Next year.....twice as big and we break all child labor laws.

2. rubyv67

rubyv67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2008
    Daggett,CA
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Those sunflowers are soooo beautiful!

Thanks for sharing!

4. mtnhomechick

mtnhomechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    Nice.......OK.........I'm Jealous!!!

5. Mikeeeeeeeeee

Mikeeeeeeeeee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2007
    Wetumpka
    Awesome!
    All my 5 acres is woods and I have to grow everything in raised beds around the house.
    Tell Marc he did a good job on the straight rows with the JD.

[​IMG]

6. that strange color fogging up your monitor is my green jealousy. we have so many rocks here in middle tennesse they reproduce overnight, would you like to trade some rocks for some sunflowers? Really have a beautiful garden, enjoy it and keep the pix comming love them [​IMG] marrie

7. mrandmrschicken

mrandmrschicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    NW IA
    With the ground here, now lightly dusted with snow, and temps in the upper 20's to low 30's, I am truly envious! But I especially like your last line about the child labor laws! How nice it would be to see a little less Wii time and more "Weed" time!

8. allaboutdemchicks

allaboutdemchicks Chapel Farms

Sep 13, 2008
    Jemison, AL
    Quote:Our little ones (ages 5 and 6) would run to the garden with their own baskets in hand. Fighting and crying because the other got something first or the other had more. You would think it was a easter egg hunt the way they pushed back the squash and cucumber leaves out of the way. Sadly, when I asked the neighborhood kids if the want to help pick peas they thought we were crazy. Yeah....Wii time.

9. IcedMochaChick

IcedMochaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    Nebraska
    Fabulous job! I'm hoping we have something like yours next year [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by