Our first go at this chicken thing!

jakesyfz450

In the Brooder
Apr 4, 2017
It all started with my wife and I buying our first house together. We moved from the city life to a bit further out in the country with room to grow. I wanted chickens and she wasn't sure but we got 11 and here we are today patiently waiting for some eggs. It was a fun build and thanks to the many hours of research from this site I came up with our current coop setup.

IMG_4890.JPG
Day #1
IMG_4994.JPG
brooder box
IMG_5013.JPG
beginning framework
IMG_5047.JPG
siding going up
IMG_5100.JPG
IMG_5103.JPG
I've added lots more sand and it makes cleanup sooo easy.
IMG_5104.JPG
IMG_5160.JPG
18" trench to keep the girls safe.
IMG_5162.JPG
Building the run now. I stained all the lower boards with some grey stain I had left over.
IMG_5244.JPG
Finished product with my palletwood faced door and window boxes.
IMG_5245.JPG
IMG_5255.JPG
I've added more vents on the back wall and I think this setup is going to work great. Thanks for looking.
Jake

Attachments

• IMG_5017.JPG
    IMG_5017.JPG
    649.7 KB · Views: 3
Congrats on the new home and additions to your family. Once you have tasted what fresh eggs (and I mean possibly same day fresh) taste like you may never be able to eat any other type of eggs ever again...

Magnificent! I especially like the stained glass window in the coop; a really nice touch. Those chickens are going to have a very good life in your care.

If I may, how big is the run in square feet? I'm trying to plan for my own flock and am trying to get a handle on how much outdoor space to give them.

Magnificent! I especially like the stained glass window in the coop; a really nice touch. Those chickens are going to have a very good life in your care.

If I may, how big is the run in square feet? I'm trying to plan for my own flock and am trying to get a handle on how much outdoor space to give them.

Thank you! The stained glass was in one of our bathroom windows we took out of our house when we bought it. The attached run is 24' x 8' x 8' for my 11 birds and I think it's going to work out alright.

Back
Top Bottom