Our First Grown up Lovey Duck.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Tevyes Dad, Jan 8, 2015.

1. Tevyes Dad

Tevyes Dad Leader of the Quack Premium Member

Apr 22, 2014
    Montana
    Tevye is our "Pig Pen". Even when there are plenty of pools around and he swims all day, as soon as he gets his clean self out into the world the dirt finds him. He usually has a feather or some down stuck on his bill with some poop frosting holding it there.[​IMG]

This last weekend he looked especially bad, so even though it wasn't his turn, he got his second duck of the day treatment. We brought him in and let him splash around in the tub to his heart's delight and then brought him out on the comforter. Most of the ducks stand on the comforter and walk around a bit. They eat treats from our hands but are still kind of wary. Rhiannon was the first to lie down comfortably, but Tevye actually snuggled up to my wife and laid down right next to her. He let her kiss the top of his bill and forehead and stroke his back and neck. He actually stayed there about an hour until it was time for us to take him out to join the flock. (Since it was the weekend, we got him in early enough to let him swim, preen and completely dry out, socialize - about 3 hours - and get him out with his flock before bed time.)

When we had the ducklings, they were mostly cuddly, but when they hit their teen years it was like starting over again. They all trust us now and are usually within 3 feet of us when we are in the yard, but Tevye is the first adult duck who has cuddled with one of us on his own.

[​IMG]

2. Smurfbrew

Smurfbrew Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2014
    Nebraska
    Aww, how sweet! That gives me hope. I want to cuddle with my ducks too! [​IMG]

3. Tevyes Dad

Apr 22, 2014
    Montana
    Ducks aren't very cuddly (very nice to cuddle, not very apt to cuddle). That's what makes these moments so special. (It may be different with house ducks - they think they're people [​IMG] ) Ducks seem to respond the best (other than when you have treats) when you do nothing, or at least nothing related to them (for example, if I lay down near a duck and play a game on my smart phone, they want to play too and will come close and nibble on me and peck my phone, but if I show them direct attention, they tend to shy away (except Rhiannon).

4. Smurfbrew

Jul 30, 2014
    Nebraska
    I know what you mean. Mine like to sneak up behind me when I'm busy cleaning out their house, sort of like they are supervising my work, but then freak out if I come towards them with a bucket of water to fill the pool back up while they are swimming. I like your "duck of the day" idea, sounds like a good way to get them used to being handled. We did something like that just the other day, because of the extreme cold here. The high was 5F that day and it was way too cold for a swim outside. Everyone was looking kind of worn down and miserable, so we brought all three ducks inside for a few hours of indoor tub time. It really seemed to perk them up.

5. Tevyes Dad

Apr 22, 2014
    Montana
    We went with duck of the day because 13 ducks in a bathtub is a remodel just waiting to happen!!!. I can't imagine the mess. They would have to retire the saying, "When the S*** hits the fan", because it just wouldn't be able to compare. One duck I can manage ;)

6. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Our Runners also have among them some cuddlers, but they need to be in the mood. If I put a blanket down in the night pen, and lie down, a number of them will walk over and lie down next to me, something noodling with the laces on my shoes.

7. Tevyes Dad

Apr 22, 2014
    Montana
    Stomping and cuddling from the same duck???? I would just explode!!!!

8. Smurfbrew

Jul 30, 2014
    Nebraska
    The mess wasn't too bad, but the smell, boy howdy!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by