Our first hatch of spring 2009 - RIR and some mixed ones! (PICS)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bowhunter, Apr 5, 2009.

1. bowhunter

bowhunter Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2009
    Gillies Corners, ON
    Here are some pics of our first hatch for the spring of 2009.
    Mostly our Rhode Island Reds, some Barred Rocks crossed with our RIR roos and also a couple Buff Orps and GL Wynandottes mixed in for fun.
    We set 36 eggs, pulled 10 quitters by day 18 from the bator, had 7 no shows that were almost fully developed and one unfortunate that pipped but died.

Now we have 18 chicks bouncing around in the brooder in our basement.

I was happy to see that the RIRxBR cross is as easy as they said it would be to sex at day old. The male has a white dot on the back of his head and the 4 pullets are all black.

Anyways, this first hatch was just an experiment being so early in the spring and all, we were pleased to get 50% hatch this early.
    I cleaned up the Hovabator after the hatch and also fired up a homemade unit my son helped me make last week. We are gonna set our next bunch of unsold eggs before they get too old.

Here's to spring![​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    [​IMG]

I have never heard about that sexing thing in BR , Im not shure I would put to much store in it unless I tested it out a few dozen times to make shure ..[​IMG]

3. havingfun

havingfun Out Of The Brooder

Nov 9, 2008
    Skowhegan Maine
    Congrats [​IMG] on your hatch. This is my first time as well. When do you give up on the unhatched eggs. I had 10 hatch at day 19 and its now day 22 with no more signs of life.

4. cackle

cackle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Congrats on the hatch. We had a broody hen hatch out some BR/RIR mutts and you are right it is easy to telll the difference. I had heard about the dot on the head but did not realiz the male would have light colored legs and the female black legs.

5. Suess hens

Suess hens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Altadena, CA
    Quote:The BR RIR cross makes a black star with the sex link trait of the white dot on the back of the head of the little boys.
    I have to setting right now that I am hoping will hatch. Would like them to not have a dot on their heads, but I will accept anything that pops out of those eggs!
    Congrats on the hatch!!!

6. bowhunter

bowhunter Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2009
    Gillies Corners, ON
    Quote:I had most of my chicks hatch on day 20 and only four on day 21. My average temperature may have been a bit on the high side. I suspect that with a lot of your hatch on day 19 that you might have been a tad warm thru the set too?

With that early hatch any eggs left in the bator are likely quitters now.[​IMG]

I always sneak a peek to confirm and of course learn as much as I can about this crazy hobby.

A word of caution - It may smell if you open your eggs up now![​IMG]

Have a great night...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by