Our first hatch!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by outdoorpodcast, Jan 16, 2013.

1. outdoorpodcast

outdoorpodcast Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2012
    We have two batches of eggs going right now and the first batch was 7 eggs that we got from our neighbor. So far four have hatched and the 5th is pipped and cheeping. Here's a photo of the 4. They were due today and 2 hatched overnight and 2 hatched today.

[​IMG]

2. Gardeningmama

Gardeningmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Ohhh the feeling of that first hatch. You can't replace it.So happy for you.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

3. kacklinkelly

kacklinkelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2012
    Southwest Desert
    So happy for you. I have been bitten by the bug of incubating after reading all the hatch discussions and seeing photos[​IMG]. This is a true test in patience as I also want to raise meat birds next and build a bigger chicken coop for the new additions I want to add. What is a girl to do?!

4. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    :ya Congrats. :woot

5. outdoorpodcast

Mar 11, 2012
    The 5th chick hatched today while at work, so 5 out of 7 isn't bad for our first hatch. We have 21 shipped eggs that should be hatching tomorrow or saturday, so we'll see how they do as well.

6. barnyardmommy

barnyardmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2012
    Suffolk VA
    Way to go, that's not a bad hatch rate at all[​IMG]....Good luck on your shipped eggs, I will set 30 shipped eggs tomorrow. It's my first time trying to hatch shipped eggs, I'm a little nervous...[​IMG]

7. CayuseRanch

CayuseRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    Newalla, Oklahoma
    Those of us feeding our habit vicariously thru byc need more pic please.

8. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    Just a suggestion but you should replace the newspaper or cover it . Paper towels will work if you dont have shaveing. Newspaper is slick and can cuase leg injuries. Congratulations on your hatch. Dont give up on the other eggs they might hatch not all babies hatch the day they are sapose to

9. outdoorpodcast

Mar 11, 2012
    I'm going to replace the newspaper today. We were out of clean shavings so will pick some up today after work. I hated to use it but I tend to be woefully reactive instead of proactive and didn't have the brooder hooked up until they started hatced.

I will get a few more photos tonight and post them as well.

10. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    AWESOME Congrats!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by