Our first hatchling!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by HarborGirl, Oct 9, 2011.

1. HarborGirl

HarborGirl Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2011
    Mama hen hatched her one and only egg yesterday!

[​IMG]

At the moment Mama and her chick are seperated from my other 2 hens and the rooster. How long do I have to keep them away from the others?

2. CrestedGirl

CrestedGirl Polish Obsessed

Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    AWWW, she is a great mama [​IMG]

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Your first GrandChick! How wonderful! And adorable. [​IMG]

I don't separate my mamas and chicks - they do a darned good job taking care of them AND protecting them from the other flock members. I do make sure there is water and feed right near their nests, though, so they don't have to run the gauntlet to eat and drink until they want to "take the babies out." I've had one hen take her chicks out on the fifth day, another at day three, but my very first GrandChick was also a solo hatch and her hatch-mom waited until the 9th day to take the baby out to Learn how to Scratch, to search for bugs, and to find the Big Chickens' feeders and waterers.

Other folks may have other recommendations, though.

4. HarborGirl

HarborGirl Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2011
    Thank you both! [​IMG]

Mama hen went broody and decided to hatch her egg in, of all places, our unused bunny hutch. It's high off the ground (about 3 feet) and I have no idea how she plans on getting the chick down with her when she wants to take it out???

Ive read conflicting advice on whether or not to keep them separated from the flock until the chick is a bit bigger.

I was thinking of moving her and the chick back to the coop tomorrow. I guess I shouldve done this while she was still sitting on the egg?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by