1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Our first hen went broody, got a question?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Puresilk, Jun 18, 2010.

1. Puresilk

Puresilk Songster

Apr 23, 2010
    Yale
    We have a silkie hen that just went broody, I put half a dozen eggs under her. My concern is that she is a crossbeak. She keeps herself in pretty good shape, we keep crumbles in a deep bowl, so she can scoop it up. Is there anything more I can do to help her keep her weight on while she is hatching these eggs? She is the first hen we have had that went broody....thanks

2. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

I put a small cup of feed in front of my broodies every few days, let them eat what they want & take it away, so they're not disturbed by other chickens.

3. Puresilk

Puresilk Songster

Apr 23, 2010
    Yale
    I have food and water in with her, just curious if there is anything more I can do to make it easier on her as it isnt as easy for her to eat since she is a cross beak. None of the eggs are hers, I just want to try to keep her in as good a shape as possible.

4. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Songster

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    I would just keep doing what you are doing. I bet she will be fine. Don't worry to much. Good luck on you hatch. Don't forget to post some pics .

5. Puresilk

Puresilk Songster

Apr 23, 2010
    Yale
    Ok thanks [​IMG]. I have a couple serama eggs under her, a couple old english (dun) eggs under her, and a few silkie eggs, lol...will be interesting. I have our first hatch in the incubator, first week gone. Lookin forward to having the chicks [​IMG].

6. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Songster

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    [​IMG]

7. Puresilk

Puresilk Songster

Apr 23, 2010
    Yale
    went out this morning and all the eggs were just kind of scattered around her in the nest, only 1 or 2 under her (I put them back under her). Does it take alittle bit for a hen to take eggs or does that mean she wont be a good broody?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: