Our First Home Chicken Dinner

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by ~Wind~, Jul 2, 2011.

1. ~Wind~

~Wind~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    So a few days ago one of our young roosters went to camp, and this is how it ended.

Roo
    [​IMG]

Roaster
    [​IMG]

Roasted
    [​IMG]

Dinner
    [​IMG]

Made us a very yummy dinner. I've had farm raised chicken before and it deffinatly is so much more awesome than store bought. But this was the first chicken that I took from hatch to dinner. He was 3 months and weighed 4lbs alive and 2.75 dressed. We cooked him nice and slow with carrots and potatoes. Yum Yum! Anyways just thought that I would share.

2. K8tieCat

K8tieCat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Northern California
    Scrumptious!!!

3. Way to go! [​IMG] It is a great way to deal with the roos in the batch. You can raise MORE heritage breeds if ok with eating the roos in the bunch. Homegrown is better [​IMG] for everyone. Chickens get a better life, We get better meat, and we learn a whole lot in the process. Makin us proud.

4. stuckinthecity

stuckinthecity Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2009
    Quote:X2.
    [​IMG]

Looks GREAT!

5. RareBreedFancier

RareBreedFancier Surrounded by Broodies

Nov 5, 2010
    Australia :)
    Yummo! [​IMG]

Your inspiring me to go out and sample one of my excess roos. [​IMG]

6. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Good job! He looks delicious. What a wonderful way to provide food for you and your family.

7. For The Love of Peeps

For The Love of Peeps Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Kuna
    Funny Thing.....Since I've Had My Chickens (1 Hen-6 Pullets-Re Homed My Roo)...I Have a Hard Time Eating "Chicken" Now...Anyone Else With This "Un-Appetite"for Chicken??? [​IMG] Lol

8. ~Wind~

~Wind~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    I was really worried that I wouldnt be able to eat it. The first few bites almost got to me, but then I realised it was all mental. I like chicken and farm raised chicken is really yummy so I ate away and really enjoyed it. But that first bite was hard.

9. Gen9

Gen9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2011
    NC
    Quote:Me too!

I have to say, although it looks delish, I could not raise something from egg only for dinner later on - I get too attached to them, too quickly!

10. erinchelsea

erinchelsea Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2010
    Webster City, IA
    Nice job!

We ate our first last week, too and I was worried I wouldn't be able to eat it either. It was fine though. I made it into a casserole so it didn't look too much like a chicken. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by