Our first homegrown peep has hatched under her mama! (Pic) Now what?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by pixiechic, Mar 31, 2009.

1. pixiechic

pixiechic Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2008
    North GA
    Our broody silkie, Mellow, has been sitting on eggs for a little over three weeks. Sometime last night, the first of the three eggs hatched. Here's our first homegrown chick ever! It looks like a lavender/grey silkie, just like its mama:

[​IMG]

Mellow seems to want the chick under her, so I think her mama instinct is working well. There's chick food and water in there, but the chick doesn't seem to want anything except to be under Mellow. We've only had feed-store chicks before...I'm guessing this little peeper will eat and drink when it's ready?

I checked the other two eggs (they came from an EE) and one of them has a little tiny hole/crack. My DH is home keeping an eye on everything, but I'd love to be there if it can hold off for a few hours until I get home from work. How long does the hatching process take?

2. xpButtercup

xpButtercup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2008
    Eaton County, MI
    Adorable! I'd just leave them be for a while ... we accidently lost a couple chicks due to too much "peeking" under mama ... I'm guessing it caused the humidity to drop and they got stuck in their shells. [​IMG]

3. jonty

jonty Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2008
    Voßfeld Germany
    NIce one. Join the crowd.

4. pixiechic

pixiechic Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2008
    North GA
    Thanks! I will try not to handle the remaining eggs until after they are hatched.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by