our first kits

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Akane, Sep 29, 2010.

1. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    We have our first 2 kits. Most likely castor and broken castor.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Whispering Winds

Whispering Winds Chillin' With My Peeps

So sweet, and I am sort of a dummy, but these are baby bunnies? Why Castor? Love that black one!!

3. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Castor is the name for standard/chestnut agouti in mini rex rabbits. It's also the most dominant color like most basic agouti in all species of animals. Breeding a standard agouti to any other color generally gets you all standard agoutis unless there is a hidden gene because only one parent has to carry the genetics for it. The dark one has a light belly so is definitely some type of agouti and castor is the most likely result. Broken is just putting white markings on whatever the rabbit's base color is so you can have broken anything with varying amounts of white from a few spots or boots(only white feet) to nearly all white. It's hard to tell what the broken kit is yet since it has so much white.

He's not a great example of the breed standard but this is a broken castor buck

[​IMG]

4. mom2jedi

mom2jedi Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Too cool! Keep us posted with pictures as they get bigger please, there is almost nothing cuter than a baby rabbit.

5. Louise's Country Closet

Louise's Country Closet Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Garrison, MN
    So cute!!! I have a standard rex that's a castor. Or I did anyway, her daughter isn't as nicely colored as her mother was but she's close. I love that color, especially in a broken.

6. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Cute!!! [​IMG]
    Be sure to keep us updated please! [​IMG]

7. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    In almost any other breed of rabbit, this color is called chestnut agouti (in the U.S.) In the Rex breeds, it is referred to as castor (actually, a "good" castor is a much deeper, redder shade than your basic chestnut, and some breeders do differentiate between the two. Some judges do, too.) The name "castor" is part of the Rex breed history. I've read that some short-coated sports had been cropping up here and there for quite a while, but a breeder in France decided to breed for it, and introduced them as a separate breed in 1919. Apparently, when you cure a beaver skin, the long hairs fall out, leaving the very dense, short undercoat. The coats on these rabbits reminded the breeder of a beaver skin, so he called his new breed "Castor Rex" (Castor is the Latin name for beaver, so the name translates "King Beaver"). The original color was the basic agouti, other colors came later. The breed name has been shortened to Rex, but the Castor part lives on as a name for a color that, done well, isn't seen in any other breed.

Congrats on the new kiddos!

Last edited: Oct 2, 2010
  8. boxermom

boxermom Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    Spencer,IA
    Thanks for that great info. My daughter just got her first breeding pair of mini rex rabbits last week. They are castor. Now we know a little of the background. Thanks again.

9. IcarusSomnio

IcarusSomnio Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2010
    Vernon County, MO
    Oh lucky! I have a Dutch doe due, I think she's going to kindle either Sunday or Monday. I expected her to pop LAST Sunday already! Looks like it's going to be a pretty big litter, darned excited. I just love having babies around [​IMG]

10. therealsilkiechick

therealsilkiechick ShowGirl Queen

Jul 18, 2007
    Northwestern, pa
    awe, congrats they r adorable!! [​IMG] what breed r they? i have 4 mini rex kits that r 14 days old today and getting big i'll have to update pics of them. i have a holland lop doe due tues so i can't wait for her to have hers either. i'm excited too, love haveing babies around too!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by