Our first loss

WindyOaksYokes

Songster
12 Years
Jul 17, 2007
Central Virginia
Hi all, well we had our first loss. One of Duckies disappered over night. We searched all day for any signs. We could not even find feathers from a struggle. Do ducks have the same predators as chickens? None of our chickens were touched nor our turkeys. Yes, we free range but at night the chickens and turkys get put up where the ducks do not. But none of us heard a comotion (we sleep with windows) and the ducks sleep right next to the chicken coop. What could have gotten our poor duck? My husband is so upset.

sad.png
Tes

Yes,most predators dont discriminate.They eat what they see out there that is easy prey.I am sry for your loss.Now to figure out what predator it was so you can trap it and eliminate it.

Thanks for the laugh... sure did need it (about the coop and large animals). And thank you for the thoughtfullness too. As for the coop... I will upload a pic of it. You will be surprised at what we have and just how well it works! As for the animals, We live way out in the country with you name it, possums, skunks, cats (all types), bears, foxes. We have them all. Thankfully I have a wonderful son that loves to hunt and trap. I think that has helped us for the most part cause this is the first one we have lost, and have killed several predators! They all have been staying away until this one. So it could have been anything, just not knowing what is driving us crazy. And what is really driving us crazy is that we have 4 good dogs that "babysit" the chickens and not one of them barked or made a sound. The dogs have now been moved to circle the chicken coop (far enough, but close enough if you know what I mean), thankfully they are good dogs and dont eat them!!!

UMMMM Problem.... how do I upload a pic???? When I figure it out, I will put my coop up.

Thanks again....
Tes

Becky,
Thank you so much for showing me how to upload... I will do it in the morning... My computer crashed last week and I am still in the process of loading everything back in. Not to mention I have to resize my pics.

Thanks again...
Tes

Okay, well now, that was easier and quicker then I had thought to get these pictures up. Well here is our chicken coop. It is actually in a little better shape than the picture shows. Still have to get a normal roof put on (hopefully in the next week or so). I'm actually truly embarrased of my coop after seeing all the beautiful ones out there that everyone else has. Guess, them chickens better start laying eggs so that I can afford to add and fix this coop. We do intend on adding to it, and making seperate sections for those that we intend on hatching and making sure that they are full breed and not mixed, except for the ones that we do want to mix.

Will get more pics once everything is complete.... Take care

Tes

ChickenCoop2.jpg

ChickenCoop1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom