Our First Loss..

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by JayDe, Apr 16, 2010.

1. JayDe

JayDe Songster

Aug 5, 2009
    Lithia, FL
    We just lost our first chicken, and he was everyone's favorite. I came outside and noticed the girls in the front yard and Roosie wasn't there. I went out back looking for him, calling him and saw a fox run out of bushes....I ran to the bushes and our 7 month old Buff Orpington Roo was in there [​IMG] I got to him before the fox could eat him, but he was already dead. We didn't hear a commotion, so I think maybe the rooster led him away from his girls.

We had seen the fox at daybreak and dusk. I never thought he'd come in the middle of the day. We have hawks around but a lot of tree cover and hiding spots for them.

Unfortunately we'll have to keep the girls in the run now and expand it. I don't think I could have the heart to free range them anymore since they are a small pet flock (just 3 EE pullets and 1 buff orp pullet-roo's sister). We already keep our silkies in a tractor since they have no chance to get away from even a cat.

Now we have to decide whether to get a new rooster or not...to get a grown one...any suggestions?

We're going to incubate eggs from him and a couple of the girls (can they have been refridgerated at all and still incubate?) How long can they be fertilized after today?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Your eggs should remain fertile for a minimum of two weeks, and it is not unlikely that they will remain fertile at least three weeks. Be aware that fertiity will gradually decrease as time passes. Be prepared, the fox will be back. They are feeding kits now and demands or food are high on the part of the vixen.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2010
  3. I'm so sorry for your loss! [​IMG]

4. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: