Our First Loss

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bull83, Nov 6, 2011.

1. bull83

bull83 New Egg

Aug 30, 2011
    We have 3 hens in a portable Ark coop. The last couple of days I noticed one of my hens was sitting around all day puffed up. She would perk up a little when we came out but she wouldn't eat the yummy food we offered. The weather has just gotten really cold so I thought she just wasn't tolerating the cold as well as the others. Today we went out and she was laying on her side. I jumped in and grabbed her and as I wiggled out of the bottom of the coop she laid across my forearm lifeless. My husband noticed brown liquid dripping from her mouth. We made a quick decision and he put her out of her misery. At that point we weren't even sure if she was still alive. When he cut her head off he said food just poured out of her body. Whole food ended up on his boots & pant legs. She had been laying every other day and quit about 3 weeks ago. 1 other hen had been laying and quit at the same time. Could she have been egg bound or does this sound like a disease? In the past few days she did not have a nasal discharge. I didn't check her vent and at this point can't bring myself to look. Husband cleaned up and disposed of. Should I be looking for any symptoms with my other 2 hens. As of now they both look happy & healthy. Thank you in advance.

2. Whispering_Raven

Whispering_Raven Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    Ashland City, TN
    Wow! I am so sorry for your loss! I have no words of wisdom for your but I'll certainly watch your post to see if other with more experience chime in. That's pretty scarey!

Blessings to you!

Tracy

3. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I don't know what to think of it. But you mentioned whole food coming out? Either her whole system stopped operating. Did they get grit?

4. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    How sad. So sorry.

5. greenegglover

greenegglover Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Could a crop impaction cause that?? Did you notice a large lump on her chest in the morning...its not unusual for it to be large at night.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by