Our first loud Egg-laying Spaz Fit!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 3peeps, Nov 14, 2007.

1. 3peeps

3peeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2007
    For two weeks now I've been reveling in the fact that my girls are so sweet and quiet when they lay their eggs. Everything was working out so perfectly in my little chicken la-la land...and then TODAY hits!

Our quietest hen, Butterfly the buff orpington, decides to make up for lost time. I'm wandering around the house and I hear something strangely like a horn being blown at intervals. Mind you it's windier than heck and all the doors are closed and she's in the henhouse.

I go out there and it's full-scale high-decible drama. The others are running around like the sky is falling and the stray cat in the garage is tearing around running for cover. I locked her in and gave her a time out until she could chill out!

If this is what we're in for in our small yard, our neighbors are going to LOVE us! I see lots of egg bribes in our future.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2007
  2. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Hopefully, she'll calm down after she gets the hang of it! [​IMG]

3. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

I love the 'Egg Song', it's such a celebration!

Unfortunately the egg song is identical to the 'I Just Spotted a Raccoon song'. Once they figure out what's going on the intensity lowers. Although some girls just love to sing! [​IMG]

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    My BO's are my loudest egg layers. They cluck and squack and carry on like the house is on fire. My RIR's are silent layers. Not a peep out of them.

5. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    My Buff Orps have always been the most vocal egg layers.......

6. 3peeps

Jul 4, 2007
    Quote:Wow, must be their alter-egos or something! That would be a good description. Nice to know about the RIR's. I had a dream that I ordered a mess of them once, and ever since, I've felt I need at least one.

7. Wolfpacker

Wolfpacker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2007
    Raleigh
    At least they're laying.

Mine could sing an aria from Aida at the top of thier lungs if they'd JUST START LAYING!

8. horsewishr

horsewishr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2007
    West Michigan
    um, 3peeps, my RIR squawks constantly. She's the noisiest girl in the bunch.

9. 3peeps

Jul 4, 2007
    Quote:Well, maybe you should set up a good-ole-fashion record player out there and give'em a few hints!! [​IMG]

My neighbors would no longer wonder...they'd know. Totally outside the box crazy in the head.

10. bluerose

bluerose Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    horsewishr- my RIR is the same way! LLOOOOOUUUUUUDDDDD *bawkbawkbawk*

can't believe the lungs on that one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by