Our first peafowl

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by TinkleTurkey, Jun 14, 2010.

1. TinkleTurkey

TinkleTurkey Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Palmdale
    These are my first ever peafowl, starting out with just two chicks this year because our facilities are still under construction

They seem to be very tame - in fact, these are the most desperate birds I've ever seen. They are completely distraught when they can't get up on someone's shoulder.
    I know they won't stay this tame... what are your experiences with hand raising peafowl and how did they turn out as adults?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

From my experience with peafowl double the size of your pens now as you are building them it will save time adding on later [​IMG] And from looking at the pics probably triple them at least.

Ours will eat out of your hand that's about as far as we have gone taming them. I would think they could become very tame if you keep working with them.

Steve

3. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

I have 2 males and 3 females that are very tame. The 2 males I can go and pick them up and carry them around. All 5 of them will stick their necks out and wait for me to scratch their chins. I think it is nice to have at least a few peafowl that are very tame. Hubby didn't lock the door behind him once to the pen and a bunch of the not so tame ones got out. I took out my tame ones and the rest followed them back to the pen.

4. leepsy

leepsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    North Florida
    Oh my goodness! They are adorable, precious, cute........oh well, you get the picture. [​IMG] What kind are they?

5. TinkleTurkey

TinkleTurkey Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Palmdale
    thanks guys. i'll be happy as long as they are managable and dont run away from me. I'm just astounded at how needy these little peas are!

I think they're black shoulder not sure, still learning about peafowl...

6. NateinFL

NateinFL Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2009
    Wesley Chapel FL
    Yes, and if you have them really spoiled they will make this low pitched "weep" noise when they can't be right next to you and that gets really annoying after a while, I raised one a couple years ago and she is very tame now but she HAD to be right there, you're right. At least you have yours a friend. Baby chickens are so much easier to raise. Njoy them!

7. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Quote:Not blackshoulders, or they would be yellow with cream color flight feathers.

pic of peach blackshoulder...

[​IMG]

pic of purple BS

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 14, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by