Our first Silkie

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Kavaji, Dec 2, 2010.

1. Kavaji

Kavaji Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2010
    San Antonio, Texas
    I went to a lady's house that had Silkies. Her 10 year old son did 4H at school and raised this little peeper from an egg into a totally chilled out 3 month old beauty. I've never seen this color pattern before and was wondering what her color would be called. The black/white/brown speckling she has starts on her chest and goes up to her butt where her tail feathers are black. Her wings are also black/white/brown. She is also very skinny. I felt bad for her, so I took her. She's great though. She sits on my desk and watches the screen as I type or watches videos. Is there anythng besides feed that I can give her to bulk her up a little? If I need better pics, let me know and I will take some more close ups. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

BTW, we named her Witch Hazel. Hazel for short.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. whatthecluck77

whatthecluck77 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 24, 2010
    indianapolis
    way cute! I have new blue babies too!

3. lcw1995

lcw1995 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2010
    Marysville Ohio
    pretty cool colorin on that bird
    nice
    congratz
    it wont be yr only silkie trust me youll have more in no time at all

4. destiny_56085

destiny_56085 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    Sleepy Eye, MN
    That's definitely a boy though....

5. Bat Cave Silkies

Bat Cave Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    Bat Cave, NC
    It's not any color I've ever seen~~but it's very pretty.

As for feeling skinny---Silkies are bony; if you're worried about the little boy actually being underweight, here are the SOP weights---a cockerel (what you have) 32oz, and when he grows up 36oz

6. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Quote:X2 [​IMG]

7. Buugette

Buugette [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Cra

May 26, 2009
    Bucks County, PA
    Sorry to say, but that may be a Hanzel... rather than a Hazel...

Beautiful bird.

D

8. Kavaji

Kavaji Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2010
    San Antonio, Texas
    Thank you everyone. I like HIM a lot. Guess I have to do a name change. Lol. Can someone fill me in as to how it's a boy? I'd like to know, so when I get my next one, I'll be able to tell.

9. destiny_56085

destiny_56085 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    Sleepy Eye, MN
    Enlarged comb, swept back mohawk shaped crest, streamers coming out of the back of the crest, overall body carriage.... Pullets have rounder crests, usually smaller combs, more petite through the body. He's just at that gangly cockerel stage and should probably start crowing within a month or so. Color is also a giveaway.... see quite a few of those miscolor almost partridge like colorations in cockerels. The pullets will have the pencilling on the feathers.

I've had a few of them pop up over the years and they started out looking alot like yours. When they got their full set of feathers, they turned out like these:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The pullets from the same hatches turned out like these:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Beautiful boy!

[​IMG]