1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Our first squat!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by NewChickmom2016, Nov 17, 2016.

1. NewChickmom2016

NewChickmom2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2016
    I'm sure many of you can remember the first time one of your chickens did the "squat" - well- it finally happened to me this morning! The girls were born June 15- so they are 5 months and 2 days. Our black australorp has been looking like she was getting close- red comb and wattles and finally this morning she walked up to me, I leaned down to pet her and down she went! Now to wait for that first egg......
    -Jerie

1 person likes this.
  2. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

Sounds like you shouldn't have to wait too long...and BAs are nice birds that lay nice eggs. [​IMG]

3. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

Woo hoo NewChickmom2016 you should be getting that first egg very soon [​IMG]

4. NewChickmom2016

May 25, 2016
    Food FreedomNow-
    Funny thing about Dottie- she has gotten nicer as she has gotten closer to laying. She is now the first one to jump up on my leg! Really enjoying being a Chicken Mom!
    -Jerie

1 person likes this.
  5. NewChickmom2016

May 25, 2016
    Teila-
    Thinking so!
    -Jerie

6. Cbennich

Cbennich Out Of The Brooder

Oct 31, 2016
    Just wondering- have your hens started to lay yet? I have two or three (2 red sex links and 1 barred rock) that began laying at 22 weeks. The squat, the vent and pelvic points seem to be good indicators of laying. I just wish I could tell who is laying which egg!

7. NewChickmom2016

May 25, 2016
    Third day of squatting for our girl, Dottie. No egg yet! Our Buff Orpington is getting much redder in the comb and her wattles are growing- guessing she will be laying in the next month or so. Our Easter Egger has very little comb and no wattle yet- so will be awhile for her.
    All hatched 6/15- so they are 22 1/2 weeks now.
    -Jerie

1 person likes this.
  8. Kegs1972

Kegs1972 Just Hatched

Woohoo!!! I'm sharing your joy as our 3 have also started squatting a couple of days ago... no eggs yet but the nest boxes have been sat in :)

1 person likes this.
  9. Cbennich

Cbennich Out Of The Brooder

Oct 31, 2016
    I have gotten 11 eggs in 6 days! They are very tasty!! I know my golden buff, Marta, is definitely laying. Two of the other girls are as well. I have had two eggs crack because they were laid from the roost during the night. [​IMG] My girls will be 23 weeks old Monday. All of the girls are squatting.

1 person likes this.
  10. NewChickmom2016

May 25, 2016
    Kegs1972-
    Race you to the first egg!!!! Our nesting boxes have also been toured by the girls! Saw some more shavings kicked out today- so someone was in there.
    How old are your girls? Mine were hatched 6/15/16.
    -Jerie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by