Our flock is staying inside the coop.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tamisflock, Aug 23, 2013.

1. tamisflock

tamisflock New Egg

Aug 23, 2013
    Eastern Missouri
    Hi there Yard Bird enthusiasts!
    We are somewhat new to chickens raising, I had chickens as a kid but don't remember too much. Our new flock wont really come out of the coop. We just got 5 20 week old Leg Horns and put them in the coop. They spent the first few days inside and would only come out when my wife ran them out. Thinking that they need some mentoring I got two 1-year-old hens yesterday, a Barred Plymouth Rock and a Buff Orphington, both from a guy who had a 13 chicken flock of free-rangers. We have a large coop (about 8 X 8 X 8foot tall) and a run that is 16' X16". I have the food and water inside the coop. My son opens their door at 6am-ish when he gets up and we close it just before dark.

I am wondering if they are still getting used to things or if I need to move the food and water into their yard. My intention (hope) is to open the gate to their yard and let them range our yard during the day but don't want to do that until they are coming out freely.

Also, 5 days with the Leggs, 2 with the newbies and no eggs yet

What are your thoughts?

[​IMG]

2. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    Chickens take a while to adapt to change. The laying should resume in a few days.

Staying inside, move the water outside where they can see it from the pop door.

Chris

3. Iuvmychix

Iuvmychix Chillin' With My Peeps

I love your coop!!!

4. sumrfun65

sumrfun65 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2013
    Oregon
    I bet they will start going out soon. Their systems get out of whack with change. We keep our food and water outside and they spend all day out. Maybe move yours out until the weather gets bad. Good luck!!

5. tamisflock

tamisflock New Egg

Aug 23, 2013
    Eastern Missouri
    Thanks for the input. Chickens are still spending much of their day inside the coop and still no eggs. It has been very hot here the last few days so I'm sure that has something to with it. I am going to try some frozen fruits and cooling the water.

6. Iuvmychix

Iuvmychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Sounds good! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by