1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Our four hour chicken hunt.....

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by ChickenChik, Jul 9, 2010.

1. ChickenChik

ChickenChik Songster

Apr 10, 2010
    Kinsey, Alabama
    Well we are on our 4 hour trip to pick up 2 silkie hens. They are the closest that we could find. Oh yeah I'm not sure I'm not the only one but when going down the road I look at every house/shed and think oooo that would make a nice chicken coop or ooo they have chickens/ducks!!! I love road trips but we won't be home until about midnight tonight. Ugh the things we do for these birds.

2. kasey08

kasey08 Aunt Kasey's Farm 8 Years

Mar 29, 2010
    Scottsboro, AL
    what color? i have blues and whites [​IMG]

3. ChickenChik

ChickenChik Songster

Apr 10, 2010
    Kinsey, Alabama
    Buffs. We currently have white, black, splash, and partridge.

4. Tigerjane

Tigerjane Songster

Jun 17, 2010
    Pflugerville, TX
    Quote:Wow, that's some determination! I drove nearly two hours each way to pick up my chicks from Ideal Poultry so they wouldn't have to endure being shipped. Maybe this is normal behavior among chicken owners? [​IMG] Enjoy your road trip!

5. ChickenChik

ChickenChik Songster

Apr 10, 2010
    Kinsey, Alabama
    Haha we can't find any buffs around here. It is actually the hubby who wants them. We will be driving 4 hours ONE WAY!!! Ugh

6. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    I do the same thing when I am on a road trip....I ooooh and aahh and think of how I could easily modify it for my birds. LOL

Don't feel bad...I drove 5+ hours from KY down to GA to pick up (2) 7 week olds Orps, a 3 yr old Orp and 28 hatching eggs. [​IMG]

7. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Quote:Welcome to one of the sub-clubs of chicken keeping! I do that ALL the time! I've found a location close enough to my office at work for me to drive there and sit in the car with my lunch whilst watching the free range chickens on a small city block. The best day was watching a hen with 13 chicks meandering through various houses' front yards.

8. curtsey13

curtsey13 In the Brooder

May 31, 2010
    Pennington, NJ
    You should talk to my husband! He drove 3 1/2 hours one way to pick up 3 Orpington hens!! We couldn't find any nearby - - the kicker was that there was road construction and he had to detour through center city NYC!!! Not a very pretty drive!! And on the way back one of the chicken went bathroom within 10 mins of the drive - - he called me because it was 95 degrees out - - the question to open the windows and sweat or suffer the smell [​IMG] Anyway - the hens are thanking him by laying eggs almost daily!! [​IMG] The things we do for our chickens!!!

9. <------possibly driving 5 hours from Louisville Kentucky to Illinois this coming weekend for some Lavender Silkies [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: