Our four-legged friends - A thread for special dogs, cats and other animals

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by sumi, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Oh my gosh I am in love with your piggies!!!!!!!!!!!

2. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft!

Awww, she was so precious. :hugs

3. applebutter14

applebutter14 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2014
    Iowa
    i love them , too, their names are piglet, miss piggy, and porkchop, i dont have them any more, piggy and porkchop we sold, and piglet had a heat stroke, but we have had other guinea pigs, we also had a black and orange one, her name was blossom, and she was with piglet and she had a heat stroke ,too. :( we also had porky, but we sold him, and piglet had 3 babies, their names were cocoa, patches and nepolian. and blossom had 2 babies, charlie and molly, but we sold all of the baby pigs to a pet store. and we have not had guinea pigs for at least 3 or 4 years till this year i talked mom into getting one. and now we have 2 and one of them in pregnet! their names are rocket and shuttle

Last edited: Aug 1, 2015
  4. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Spring Dreaming Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Sounds like she had a great life with you, very cute.

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Thank you for sharing Libby's life with us. She really was special.

6. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I got teared up reading this. Thank you for sharing!

7. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchaholic Extrordinaire and Team Tube Feeding XO

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    I have quite a few four legged friends!

This is Frodo, my yellow lab irish wolfhound cross. He was found as a puppy wandering the streets of a nearby city. Now he's almost 13, really good for a dog his size. His hips are really starting to bother him so I think I will probably have only a year or so left with him, but for now he's enjoying life.

[​IMG]

I also have three cats. BW is a black and white cat that I took in from the neighbor's horse barn. The neighbor named her BW and it stuck. After I took her in the person who dumped her there, a teenager who lived down the road from me, had the nerve to come up to me at the bus stop (I got her when I was still in grade school) and tell me that it was his kitten, but he got her and then his mom said he couldn't have her any more so they dumped her at the horse barn, but he had been calling her Genevieve and would I please call her that? How about no.

Then I have Jeter, who someone dumped in my woods when he was a tiny kitten too young to eat solid foods. I bet they dumped the rest of his litter, too, but he was the only one I found. I don't really want to know what happened to his siblings. I bottle fed him, weaned him, and now he has a forever home with me.

Finally I have Boo, a black cat whom I found trapped in my workshop after I accidentally left the door open one night. She was about six months old at the time. Even though I've had her for almost two years now, she is still terrified of the sight of me in my black boots. I think she was kicked and abused before she found her way to me.

Then there's Caramel, my bearded dragon. Most people think lizards are creepy and unfriendly, but I raised her from a baby and she's very docile and sweet. And, well, if you think lizards are all mean and creepy, perhaps this will change your mind:

[​IMG]

I also have a leopard gecko I took in from Petco after their improper care caused her to lose all her toes and half her tail. She has since gained weight and grown her tail back. Her toes, however, are gone forever.

3 people like this.
  8. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I love this pic!

9. N F C

N F C More coffee please! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    @Pyxis you've done a great job with all your rescued animals. Thanks for giving them all a good home. They look like wonderful companions!

10. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    You have a heart of gold rescuing all these animals. What a cute dragon!! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by