Our Frizzle Cockerl took on the fox, lost a big chunk of skin.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by psimons2004, Jun 10, 2011.

1. psimons2004

psimons2004 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2011
    Cheyenne
    We have a young Cockerl/Rooster. he is a frizzle so is pretty scraggly looking anyway. This morning I found him and our other bantam Rooster OUTSIDE of their coop yard, Chasing the fox out of our yard! I have no idea how they got out, we have had chickens in this yard for two years now and have some great photos of the foxes even sleeping on the roof of the hen house but could never get to them. We felt it was pretty secure, but apparently not for this years Roos. They scared off the fox which is a feat in itself but not without our little frizzle getting a large chunk bitten out of his back/rump. It's about a quarter to half dollar sized gaping hole. No skin left to try and have it stitched, but it doesn't look like the muscle got punctured at all. There is very little blood. We also had a bantam hen get her comb(??? not sure that's the right term on a hen) ripped off. I have washed both wounds and tried to apply a antiseptic balm to his wound (her's is fine I think and will heal nicely), but I am scared to put anything directly on the muscle that is showing through. Not sure what to do for him... Hate to cull him. Thank you for any advice.

I have pictures but don't know how to attach them.

2. psimons2004

Jun 10, 2011
    Cheyenne
    [​IMG]
    [[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 10, 2011
  3. psimons2004

Jun 10, 2011
    Cheyenne
    okay getting this figured out slowly, thanks for your patience.
    [​IMG]

4. psimons2004

Jun 10, 2011
    Cheyenne
    [​IMG]

5. flnatv

flnatv Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    West Tennessee
    I would keep it very clean...
    I would NOT cull that roo either... he is a great protector!!! You need him around.

Good luck... you can use neosporin without the pain relief.

6. psimons2004

Jun 10, 2011
    Cheyenne
    Thank you so much the positive advice! So funny that our tiny Bantums are so aggressive. Thank you!

7. menageriemama

menageriemama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2008
    Lake Nebagamon, WI
    What a brave boy!! I would start him on antibiotics, and flush the wound with saline solution twice a day. Keep him separated from the rest of your flock till he is healed up. The wound needs to heal from the inside out. Good luck and hope he gets better soon!

Last edited: Jun 10, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by