Our GIANT Egg.

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by kdmerge, Oct 17, 2011.

1. kdmerge

kdmerge New Egg

Apr 23, 2011
    We have 6 chickens (3 Rhode Island Reds and 3 Black Sex Links) that just started laying at the beginning of September 2011. The eggs vary quite a bit in size but we are getting 6 eggs almost every day. Yesterday we got the largest chicken egg we've ever seen. 103 grams! Today our largest egg was 71 grams. I put some eggs we've gotten this week side by side below.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. BookWorm243

BookWorm243 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    Franklin, NC
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    That gal deserves a [​IMG]

4. The Red Rooster

The Red Rooster Poultry Observer

[​IMG] Give the poor girl somthing special! That must have hurt!! [​IMG]

5. Silkiesandco

Silkiesandco Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2011
    Canada eh?
    Quote:x2!

6. Grog

Grog Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2011
    I will now have to weigh my eggs... I have had some that look bigger than that. Even a few with blood on them(poor girl). But that is a bigen she needs some prep-h

7. GardenGal

GardenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western WA
    Wow!!! Our biggest from one of our RIRs was 87 grams, and it filled my hand. Yours must've been HUGE!!

8. AZBootsie

AZBootsie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Congress, AZ
    My Coop
    That's about 3.7 ounces....extra extra large!!! My largest egg was just a hair over 3 ounces and I though it was huge.

HEY!!!!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 19, 2011
  9. I had the EXACT same thing as GardenGal! My biggest was 87 and it filled my hand too! It also had this really funny bump on the pionty end, it stuck out so much that it accually created 2 places where the eggshell curved OUT!!!:thIt was a double yolk(no surprise there) and we still have the shell! But the biggest egg laid by any chicken(according to storey's guide to raising chickens) wieghed a FULL POUND!!!!![​IMG][​IMG] Just think how many chicks would have come out of that had it been fertilized and hatched! It would have been either lke 8 chicks crawling from one shell or... CHICKZILLA!!![​IMG][​IMG] I think the most yolks recorded in one egg was like 27-or something![​IMG]

10. lvchicken

lvchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2011
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by