Our girls Amazing survival.

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by growinupinfl, Sep 5, 2010.

1. growinupinfl

growinupinfl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Pensacola
    Ok, here is the situation. Last Monday during the horrible rains that plagued Florida we realized one of our girls was missing. We looked everywhere for her. Others property under, over no such luck. We decided she had been stolen, eaten or something. There was not even a feather left behind. A great mystery was around her disappearance. Well yesterday while doing yard work, my husband turned over a concrete mixing trough and a chicken popped out at him. About scared the you know what outta him. We could not beleive it. It was our missing girl. I can not believe she survived that long. But we live in the suburbs on less than an acre of land. None of my neighbors reported a rogue wandering chicken, there had even been a big pit bull loose for a few days. There was very little if any grass under there. I can only imagine that she was getting water from rain that flooded under the trough. But how long can they live without food and water. She did go and eat a LOT soon as she got out. We gave her some special treats of peaches and worms. My brain keeps arguing with myself saying there is no way she was under there that long. However it is the only thing that makes since for her sudden disappearance. I am truly shocked that she did not act weak, listless or anything. She was just more hungry and thirsty than normal. Does anyone know how long they can live in the dark with no food or water? My next question is, is there anything I should watch for for the next several days. Could this have been long enough to force her to molt, or have other issues. She had only recently started laying eggs, could this cause her to have a problem with egg bound or anything. Or is it most likely that her system shut down during her famine. Any ideas would be great.

Christal

2. dawnchick

dawnchick Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2010
    You'll just have to watch her and see. Since she was able to get water I imagine she could have survived even longer. Obviously, some extra nutrition would be good, maybe a little hamburger or yogurt or a scrambled egg, maybe a few drops of infant vitamins each day, that sort of thing. I imagine she'll be in shock for a while and this could certainly stop her from laying for a while. I have no idea whether she would molt or what else she might do.

That's one lucky hen! Good luck with her.

3. growinupinfl

growinupinfl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Pensacola
    This also the same hen who decided to go for a swim in our pool. We discovered hens float, and the little snot was even peddling around like a duck. My husband found her that time too! She let him lift her out of the pool completely calm. He set her on the ground she just shook her feathers like that was interesting and walked away. She is defiantly an interesting girl. You would think with 14 hens something would happen to one of them besides her!

Christal

4. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    It continues to surprise me how often missing chickens are found. It really underscores the importance of leaving no stone unturned when searching for a lost bird. Congratulations. It is so nice to get good stories like yours.

5. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

5 days, wow! That's one for the record books. Glad you found her. It might have helped her that it would be dark under the trough, she could've slept the entire time. She's probably thinking "What a weird planet, they have 5 day eclipses here. [​IMG]

Imp

6. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by