Our girls have a new suitor . . .

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MrsChickendad, Jul 21, 2008.

1. MrsChickendad

MrsChickendad Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Lennon, Michigan
    The girls (8 big chickie girls, 10 little chickie girls-(bantys) were all atwitter the other day. A handsome young ring-neck pheasant was strolling around the coop and pen leering at all the innocent young girls. He called them several times but they just aren't "that kind" of girls, so he eventually strolled off. I hear him calling during the day and the girls pop their heads up and down in response, but I think he is going to have a tough time seducing those girls unless he has a bunch of grapes in his beak. . . The girls do have a price.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. snowydiamonds

snowydiamonds Chillin' With My Peeps

You don't really give them grapes do you? Grapes will kill a dog or cat...

3. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    snowydiamonds,

its ok to feed grapes to chickens or other birds. They're birds, hence they are different than cats and dogs. Lot's of people on BYC feed their chickens grapes and they do fine.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2008
  4. MrsChickendad

Jun 18, 2008
    Lennon, Michigan
    We have been giving them grapes since they were about 6 weeks old. I try and get grapes on sale, because 25 chickens will go thru a bunch in a hurry. The banties are so little that I hold the grape while they peck it to piecesÑthe big girls grab and run. The banties are older by 3 weeks and its fun to watch them boss the big girls around. Watermelon has also been a big hit, but the banty boys aren't as enamored of it. Interesting too that the alpha roo won't take grapes from my hand very often.

5. SpeckledHills

SpeckledHills Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah
  6. MrsChickendad

Jun 18, 2008
    Lennon, Michigan
    I see snowydiamonds is in Alaska. I don't even want to THINK about how much grapes have gotta cost there! We were in Alaska in '05 and tomatoes were $5 a pound and cheese was $18-20 pound. Yikes![​IMG]

7. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    I give grapes to our dogs all the time...they love them!!!! Of course, my chickens love them more....

8. BJ

BJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2007
    Very cute story...I can just imagine what your "good girls" must be thinking about that "bad" boy!!!

9. SpeckledHills

SpeckledHills Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah
  10. LilBizzy

LilBizzy Chicken Storyteller

May 20, 2008
    Maryland
    How cute. I can just piture it. And LOL@ the girls have a price. I can imagine the pheasant thinking ' Ive tried EVERYTHING and these girls just won't give"

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by