Our girls wont accept our new rooster.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Farmer Rhonda, Feb 5, 2015.

1. Farmer Rhonda

Farmer Rhonda Out Of The Brooder

Jan 19, 2015
    We have Plymouth Barred Rock hens and bought a new rooster for them. They wont have any thing to do with him at all and some are just mean so he stays to his self most of the time. He tried to join in tonight and the girls we're mean again. any advice.

2. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    You already have a top hen. Now there is an intruder/stranger. the hens are dominating at the moment. He will have to work himself all the way to the top of the order before hens will allow any mounting. Even then, if they are young, they aren't gonna be too receptive. the balance of power should shift to him over time and all should be well. [​IMG]
    P.S. If he is young and or younger than the hens, he doesn't know much about being a rooster yet anyway.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! When you introduce a new bird to a flock, even if it is a rooster to a flock of hens, be sure they are about the same size if you are adding a younger bird, and it is best to have a long period of the two being able to see each other but no touching, through wire seem to work best, ie dividing the coop into two sections or keeping the new one in a cage inside the coup for a couple of weeks to a month at least. The chickens will get to know each other and sort of work out a pecking order before actually coming in contact with each other. After a week or two, letting them free range together is a good idea and should help... It will take a couple of weeks to get the pecking order sorted out. There is a nice article in the Learning Center on integrating flocks you might like to check out, the part about actually combining them is after the quarantine section https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/adding-to-your-flock

1 person likes this.
  4. Farmer Rhonda

Jan 19, 2015
    Good advice, there the same size but he's bigger and there about the same age. I quarantine him at night and let them out together in the morning. He stays high on his perch away from them. I have hope they'll get closer soon. Thanks I have hope now.

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us!

6. justplainbatty

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    How long have they been together? "quarantine" is the 6 weeks you keep a new bird totally separate from an existing flock. In case the new bird is sick, he will not infect any other bird. If he is found to be healthy, then the flock introduction mentioned above works very well. [​IMG]

7. Farmer Rhonda

Jan 19, 2015
    No hes up only at night but they can see each other. He's perfectly healthy, only quantined at night for the safety of them all.im giving it some time and listening to the advice.

8. Farmer Rhonda

Jan 19, 2015
    I guess im pretty lucky , I've heard some pretty bad stories about new chicken. We're hoping he comes along quickly but as long as he's happy im happy.

9. justplainbatty

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    I hope you're right about his health. Birds can hide illness very well until they're nearly dead. If you don't want to separate them, I would recommend at the very least, de worming the whole flock just to be safe. Best wishes[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. Farmer Rhonda

Jan 19, 2015
    I will, he was looked at but test we're not ran so im very concerned and he will be quarantined in the morning. I'll watch for any and all signs of illness. Scary but possible even though these breeders are very popular and highly recommended.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by