Our GLW hen is crowing! Idenity crisses?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tabatha_westcott, Apr 12, 2009.

1. tabatha_westcott

tabatha_westcott Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2009
    This morning we heard our hen let out a crow. (More like a scream) We thought she was in distress but she was just fine. Strutting around the yard crowing like a roo. We did have a roo that she was raised with and recently had to give him away because of the neighbors. Is she missing him or having an idenity crisses? She IS a hen. Been laying eggs for about a year now.

2. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

I have a hen that crows. Everybody said get a rooster, she will stop. She didn't. But, she only crows when the rooster is in the other pen with his "other" girls !

3. yotetrapper

yotetrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    Folklore says a crowing hen predicts illness in the household.

4. tabatha_westcott

tabatha_westcott Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2009
    Quote:Oh no. I sure hope not... Im pregnant

5. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    Maybe she is taking over the alpha role that had belonged to the rooster. [​IMG]

6. SandraChick

SandraChick Chillin' With My Peeps

It 's not too unusual for the lead hen to take on the role of a rooster (in the absence of one)...they will lead the flock and yes....they will often end up crowing.

7. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Its called, boringly enough, "hencrowing." Often , in a flock without a rooster, or one that is yet to become dominant, a hen will step into to the dominant position. What people will call the "alpha position."

Never really a crow, per se, it can be pretty loud and in my experience, pretty wicked sounding. It reminds of what a banshee must sound like.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by