our goat is driving us crazy ..............we got BABIES!!!!!!!w/pics

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by KingsCalls, Jun 21, 2008.

1. KingsCalls

KingsCalls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2007
    New Market,Tn.
    Our doe that we ask about a while ago has still not delivered! she won't let us get close to her to check her ligs anymore but tonight I noticed that she is "pooched" out a little and it looks to be staying moist with maybe a discharge, but she is not staying away from the rest of the herd. she kept flopping her tail back and forth instead of holding it up. her bag is HUGE almost like a gallon milk jug. we have had her 122 days now and have no idea how long she was bred when we got her. any idea on how long it could be ? I will try to get a pic of her tomorrow to help more. I just know that the wait is killing us.....

Last edited: Jun 26, 2008
  2. ThreeBoysChicks

ThreeBoysChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    You may want to get a vet out to look at her. Our neighbor had a doe that did the same thing. Bag huge, discharge, but no babies. Our neighbor had the vet out 3 days in a row and the vet said "Giver her time". In the end the neighbor drove the goat to the vet and they went in to pull the babies. The doe had 3 inside of her and the first to come out was sideways. None of the babies were alive, but they were able to save the doe.

So, my opinion, you may want to get a vet to check her out. See what others have to say.

3. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    Just on your description, she's getting close. The frustrating thing is that discharge can come for a good long while before babies...many of mine have it about 1 week prior.

You gotta catch her and feel her ligaments and udder. If the udder is rock hard, you're likely close. Of course, ligaments soft or even gone is even more indicative.

4. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Oh jeesh.....and I thought hatching eggs was stressfull!! LOL I really feel for ya...hope she kids soon!

5. Chatychick

Chatychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    Goats can go anywhere from 145 to 150 days and then deliver. I would try easily to herd her into a pen with a friend and then take your time and ease up and try to check her. My girls can start with discharge from 3 weeks to 1 hr away from delivering. Each goat is different, but I just had 1 have to have a c-section. First baby to deliver was already dead and the other 2 made it. Yep triplets can sure be a train wreck. Is she squatting alot or straining? Her tail head will be pretty floppy when she gets closer. Some of mine it flops to the side and some they dont. I check their pinbones and tailhead for the ligaments and some of mine when they get really close are very standoffish. Mine are all pests and when they get this way I know its not long till time. Udders will firm up really tight and thats a sign also. If the discharge is clear she is doing ok but if it turns a amber color and no progress its time to go in to check and see if she is dialating.
    As long as she is staying with the others they think there is safety in numbers. I try to check while I am feeding mine as they are more worried about food than me at the time. This is a good way to check lig's. sounds like she is getting closer so I would watch for excessive squatting like she needs to pee alot and the tail is a give away alos if the contraction are strong as they usually flip it on to their back and hold it there during the hard contractions. Hope you can check her soon.

6. KingsCalls

Oct 22, 2007
    New Market,Tn.
    this morning I took the pics any help would be welcome[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 22, 2008
  7. KingsCalls

Oct 22, 2007
    New Market,Tn.
    I forgot to add this sorry, do goats usually go into labor at night? I told you she is driving me CRAZY..............

8. whererv

whererv New Egg

Jun 22, 2008
    I'm no expert, but goats gestation is 150 days, and ours fill their udders 2 to 4 weeks before delivery, so if she just put on that bag, you could have a ways to go yet.

We had one deliver at the end of May who got "poochy" 3 weeks before she delivered.

I hear they do go into labor at night, but we've had 4 goats (like I said, I'm not expert) deliver over the last two years, and they all went during the day.

9. hazelton farms

hazelton farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2008
    NC
    Hmm.. she is holding her tail out funny, isn't she. That could be a good sign. Our goat that doesn't like to be messed with "talked" to us the day she delivered...quiet, soft little noises at the gate. Very unusual behaviour for her. Maybe that will happen here.

Stacy

10. turnerstar31

turnerstar31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    I still think you have a few more days to go. She looks her udder is not quite as full as it could be. My best advice is to not pay to much attention and do not constantly be watching her. When you are not looking she will have them. That is the way it always works for me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by