Our Goats are HOME!!!!!! . plus pic of Goat House

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by ThreeBoysChicks, Jun 21, 2008.

1. ThreeBoysChicks

ThreeBoysChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    This has been a really great experience. I did my usual BYC research and found out all I needed to know about goats. Then contacted a lady who lives about 1 mile from where we live. She raises goats. She has been awesome. She allowed my kids to come down when ever they wanted to vist and play with the goats. We picked out our little Danny Boy a couple of days after he was born. Then Ginger (Breeder), suggested I get a doe who was being bullied because she thought the doe would thrive in a Pet home. I posted a pick and BYC (gumpsgirl) suggested the name that stuck Daisy. Well they are 2 months old and came home Thursday.

Daisy
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Danny
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

If you are interested in their Goat House, I used a Calf Hutch. It's total cost with the hay feeder was $320 and it is 5.5 ft X 7.5 ft and has built in feeders and vents in the roof and back end. http://www.polydome.com/square_calf_nursery.html It weighs about 130 lbs, so it can be moved if needed. I built them a yard within our one pasture that is all their own, but eventually, I will let them run in the 1 acre field with the horses if they all get along. But I wanted them to have their own space where they could go with no horses, if they choose. When they are older, I will also let them have a run in the big field. And as everyone has said on BYC, they are escape artists. If you notice the gate with Danny staning up on it. It took them less than 1 hour to jump between the two bar in the gate. I covered the gate with 2X4 4ft high wire, since that picture was taken.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 21, 2008
  2. hazelton farms

hazelton farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2008
    NC
    Those are some beautiful goats! And that pen construction is LOVELY!!! What a nice house you have for them! You sure did do some research! That really is a nice set up! I hope you guys love 'em!! Goats are just GREAT!

Stacy

3. Chatychick

Chatychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    Nice babies and Nice pen. Also I noticed the gate has the chain, as they get older they will figure out how to open it too...lol...they are very smart and will learn fast. I use a snap to hold the chain on some of mine. They look very happy and are they a Boer/Nubian cross? I love thier colors..

4. momma's chickens

momma's chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Idaho
    Your goats are really pretty. My goats came home yesterday too. Thank you so much for showing pics of your goat set-up; it is really nice. It is great seeing other set-ups to either just look at or to steal ideas. [​IMG]

5. NurseNettie

NurseNettie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    Northern Maine
    Oh they are beautiful!!! I want to add goats to our "family"- as pets and also for milk. Would you care to share some of your research sources? I can use lots of help [​IMG]

6. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    How sweet! Such a pretty face!

7. ThreeBoysChicks

ThreeBoysChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    As for research, I search out things on BYC. MissPrissy, Helmstead and others had great advice. Daisy's mother was an alpine and the dad a boar. Danny's mother was an alpine cross and the dad a boar.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2008
  8. americana-chick

americana-chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Your goats are about the cutest little things but i am sucker for newbian goats so ya [​IMG]

here are my lovely little goats [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    above: Tinker Bell
    [​IMG]
    above: Snickers
    [​IMG]
    above: Shorty
    [​IMG]
    above: Charly

9. wynedot55

wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    those are some nice looking lil goaties.love their pen an hutch.ive got 3 polydome calf hutches.an ill prolly put 1 in with my goats this winter.even though they have an old dog house to sleep in.

10. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    Daisy and Danny are just adorable! They very much remind my of Betty aka Ivy, who is a doe out of on of my Nigis sired by a Boer buck (not my idea, bred when purchased). I love their hutch, too. Talk about easy to clean up, just move it, muck where it was and forget about it [​IMG].

Congrats!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by