our gold lace pullett

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by daphneysmamma, Mar 3, 2014.

1. daphneysmamma

daphneysmamma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2013
    erwin , NC
    So one kid is showing a silkie end of month ..and my other son has a gold lace wyandotte pullett that's actually one of my favorite layers :). Beautiful girl.. he'd like to show her. I studied her and my standard ..I have some trouble interpreting the standard at times and this is our first show so can yall help me out..everything I can tell looks awesome but I'm questioning her feather coloring has a few hidden mossy feathers .. u don't see them just looking but if u look thru the feathers u do. Her legs are yellow but she has a slight dark tinge evenly across the front .. not dark spots. Now in the comb there are just a couple teensy black smaller than speck of pepper spots...would u show her? B honest .. not gonna hurt my feelings a bit. I'll try to get a good series of pics this evening

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Where did you get her? If she's from a hatchery, she may not be a good bird to show, as hatchery birds may have the wrong body type. Could you post a picture? If you post a picture, I'll give my opinion on whether she is good for showing or not.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Do you have a picture of her?

If it's just your kids showing, like 4-H or something, go ahead and let him take her. Most shows of that type around here are all hatchery birds.

4. daphneysmamma

Jul 30, 2013
    erwin , NC
    ok here are her pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    She's probably fine for showing at a 4-H show, as I don't see anything that would disqualify her. However, I wouldn't show her at anything other than that-- at a large show, her small size (show-quality Golden Laced Wyandottes are huge and much fluffier) may disqualify her, or at least she wouldn't place very high.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Agreed.

7. daphneysmamma

Jul 30, 2013
    erwin , NC
    Ok . Ty guys. I may let him do the fair ..she weighs 5.5 lbs she's about 5 months old. Wonder how I could fatten n fluff her lol. I just bought vitamin supplement for my flock maybe it will help..she may not be blue ribbon quality but I want her to look her best this fall ..heck I want all my birds to look their best.I just started adding protein with scrambled eggs as well

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by