Our golden buff is still not well.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by blackswamp, Nov 20, 2013.

1. blackswamp

blackswamp Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2012
    NW Ohio
    It has been a week now that our 7 month old golden buff has been lethargic, not moving around, not eating much. She sounded congested last Thursday, so we started her on Duramycin in water. She has been on this in her water for 5 days now. She is isolated from the other hens now, we are keeping her inside. She had two good days where she walked around, slowly, but did do some pecking while free ranging. Yesterday and today, now, she is not walking around, sounds congested again. There is not much poop production. She has not laid an egg in over a week. Her comb is turning purple. When she had her two good days, her comb was bright red. Any suggestions?

2. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    You can try switching her to tylan50 dose is for large birds 1/2cc for small birds 1/4 give one shot in the breast muscle once daily for 5 days. Many have had great success using tylan 50 for respitory issues. you should be able to find it at the feed store. Don't be worried that it says for cattle and sows because many poultry owners including myself had treated very successfully with it. It is the antibotic Tylosin and is geared for respitory. also with injections your dose is more consistant than it would be with a water soluable antibotic. Because those are contigent on amount drank. Also the injectable will get into the blood steam faster. I hope this helps and hope she gets well soon. Tylan 50 had been successful for many folks who's birds had respitory issues. you might consider switching and see if it helps her.

1 person likes this.
  3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I agree that I would change the antibiotic. Tylan50 injectable, Tylan Powder, Gallimycin, and Denagard are used to treat respiratory diseases. Another suggestion is that in one of your previous posts, you mentioned she had symptoms of coccidiosis--lethargy, diarrhea, etc.--so did you ever treat with Corid? If she has cocci also, she won't absorb the meds for her respiratory disease properly. Does her face have any bad odor that would seem like she has coryza? If so, sulfadimethoxine (Di-Methox) would be good to use since it treats cocci and coryza at the same time. Sulmet might be easeir to find locally, but here is a link for Di-Methox online: http://www.jefferspet.com/product.asp?pn=A2-DA&green=2ddf7002-2e9e-ce46e9-a9ce-a28fde95babc

4. blackswamp

blackswamp Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2012
    NW Ohio
    I was not able to find "Tylan 50" at local tractor supply store. They did have Tylan 250/200mL strength. They had Tylan 200/50mL strength label on shelf, but no product on shelf. Is that what is meant by Tylan 50, the 200/50 mL strength? Any other suggestions on where to buy?

5. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  6. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by