our hatching chick was moved

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by [email protected], Sep 27, 2012.

1. missiebaldwin@gmail.com

[email protected] New Egg

Aug 5, 2011
    We picked some eggs out from under a broody hen and realized afterwards that the chick was already peeping and had pecked a small hole in the shell. It has been almost 12 hours and the hole is not any larger. The chick is still peeping, but I am afraid we disturbed it's orientation inside the egg when we moved it. Will it still be able to zip the top off? I do not want it to die, it has beat the odds already and made it this far! It is almost bedtime for us, I am afraid to leave it overnight, should we intervene and help it out?

2. tdhenson86

tdhenson86 Poultry People

Leave it overnight and see what happens. If it is still that way after 24 hours, you can help it. Just don't try to help it too soon or its yolk sac may not be completely absorbed yet. Good luck and keep us posted! [​IMG]

3. missiebaldwin@gmail.com

[email protected] New Egg

Aug 5, 2011
    It hatched, yay! But there seems to be a problem. It has been out of the egg for 8ish hours and it wont stand up! It is just laying on its butt with its legs sticking out in front of it. Is something wrong?

4. tdhenson86

tdhenson86 Poultry People

It should be okay. Keep us posted. :)

5. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    Did you try some electrolytes? SaveAChick? or just a little sugar or karo in the water?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by