Our hatching chicks!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ChKnLuvRs, Jan 5, 2013.

1. ChKnLuvRs

ChKnLuvRs Out Of The Brooder

Dec 12, 2012
    So we started with chicks last April. Just thought it would be something to do. But shortly after we built our coop I discovered I was hooked. I wanted more chickens and more more more.
    About a month ago our chickens started laying eggs and it was so awesome. To actually have something going right was so cool. When we bought our incubator shortly after we figured we would not successfully hatch anything. We didn't know all the techniques. Thought"ah we will only probably have two eggs hatch. Last night I got home and three of our eggs were moving! And one cheeped!!!!!!!!!!:D
    I was so egg-cited I didn't even wanna goto bed. There wasn't any progress last night just movement. But this morning I had me a fully hatched baby chick. And he is a cutey!!!

He isn't dry so I can't open the Bator. Right?
    So herebhe is hopefully y'all can see him.
    [​IMG]

As you can see we have about 25 chicken eggs in, and the rest quail. It's pretty crazy.
    But we are just about scheduled to have one hatch per day for a month. Because we were new new to it we thought keeping the eggs out of the Bator and putting them all in at once, we thought they would go bad. So we just put them in as we got them. Everyday I get a hatch I'm going to post a picture or a question because, we'll were new to this thing and I don't wanna do anything wrong!!!:)))

So I need helpers.
    Today's questions.
    My baby chicks eyes seem to be closed. When will it open it's eyes?

Next, it seems to stumble around almost like it has no feet, but it does I have seen them. So what is going on with the hobbling ?

#overjoyed about my chicks#

Thanks in advanced for your help!

2. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    [​IMG] her eyes open now? any other hatching? CONGRATS!!

3. LukensFarms

LukensFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2013
    Fort Collins, CO
    Chicks eyes are fully formed and functional when they hatch. They should open pretty close to immediately during hatching. On those small incubators, sometimes there will be a concern when you open the incubator to retrieve chicks that the humidity levels could fall and the absolute perfect temperature and environment will fall away and you may discover some chicks won't hatch but will form all the way to the end. Because chicks don't need food or water for a couple of days, I would recommend opening it every three days to retrieve your chicks. However I understand that some eggs won't be getting turned which is another problem. So you have a challenge on your hands but I wish you all the best and in the future I would recommend saving eggs for about two or three days before putting them in or setting them.

4. ChKnLuvRs

Dec 12, 2012
    Yes they were open. I just couldn't tell because his eyes were black around them. But I think it might be an australorp. It's gonna be so hard to tell though because we had 4 roosters at the time. And now we don't. So it's gonna be hard. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. LukensFarms

Jan 5, 2013
    Fort Collins, CO
    I never get tired of looking at the cute buggers. When it starts to feather you will probably know in a couple of weeks.

6. ChKnLuvRs

Dec 12, 2012
    Ok cool! We have three quail eggs moving around and we have three chicken eggs moving:D

7. LukensFarms

Jan 5, 2013
    Fort Collins, CO
    Keep it closed until tomorrow and let me know what you see.

8. ChKnLuvRs

Dec 12, 2012
    Ok sure thing.
    Thanks

9. lovingfarmlife

lovingfarmlife New Egg

Jan 6, 2013
    Adelaide south Australia
    that is so cool we have a farm with chickens and are incubating our first lot of eggs we put 28 in the incubator and candled at day 8 we had to remove 8 eggs as they we unfertile we are trying to hatch australorps and light sussex we are now at day 15 and will be taking them out of the egg turner at 18 days to lay flat can someone tell me what humidity you would have the eggs at for the last 3 days thanks so much

10. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    Great NEWS!! Cute little chick!! CONGRATs!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by