Our Hawk Deterrence (pic)

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by azelgin, Apr 16, 2009.

1. azelgin

azelgin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    S.E. AZ
    These freeloaders hang around looking for a handout every morning. In exchange for a couple of eggs, they pester the h*** out of any hawks that wander by. They get along fine with the chickens and share a snack of cat food with them. Ravens are too smart. They figured out what's in the egg cartons. Now, I can't let a carton sit unattended while collecting eggs, or they rob me blind.
    [​IMG]

2. Mrs.Puff

Mrs.Puff Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2008
    Southern Iowa
    Is that a Black Buzzard?

3. azelgin

Jan 18, 2008
    S.E. AZ
    Mrs.Puff :

Is that a Black Buzzard?

No, we have lots of ravens around here.​

4. Mrs.Puff

Mrs.Puff Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2008
    Southern Iowa
    That thing is gigantic! I've seen ravens, but I didn't think they were that big!

5. highmountainchick

highmountainchick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2008
    we just had a raven take out one of our silkies, so they will attack and kill smaller birds like bantams.

6. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Thats great! You say he gets along with your chickens? Then I'd be jumping for joy! Looks like where you live, you would have a ton of hawks and such! Hope he stays around and keeps your babies safe. [​IMG]

7. gkeesling

gkeesling Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Hagerstown, IN
    Here in Indiana we have crows that take on the task of pestering the Red Tail Hawks away. We used to have a couple hawks flying over head on occasion. Since the crows have come stay I haven't seen the hawks in weeks.

8. azelgin

Jan 18, 2008
    S.E. AZ
    Quote:Sorry you lost one of your silkies. I used to worry these guys might go after the chickens, but it's the other way around. They've been around even before we got the chickens. The chickens run them off, if the ravens get closer than about 6 feet. We have 2 Dutch bamtums roaming around here. The ravens aren't interested. They are more into eggs, hot dogs and tortillas.

9. ~*Sweet Cheeks*~

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Olympia Washington
    ^^^^^^^
    Same here. I'm on 4 acres with surrounding large acre parcels that are wooded.

The crows go after the red tail hawks when they circle my pasture looking for mice.

I'll be covering my dog kennel run I'll be moving over to the coop this weekend.

And building a tractor so my girls can get fresh grass and bugs safely.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by